We want a battery case!

Great idea! My Deck could use a little battery boost as well, and I’m sure having a laptop battery system would be great to help recharge. It would DEFINITELY need a USB-C plug, get that speedy power out.

Welcome to the community, @Joe_Morris!

Also… what about an enclosure for multiple batteries? Someone wanna mock that up to print? Slide one battery in now, slide your next one in later when you replace it with a new one or replaced one, etc? Might be useful.

3 Likes

Hey its been a month sooo, please dont forget about this this is so cool i really want to see it happen thankss

4 Likes

I absolutely agree, would love a battery case.

1 Like

Adding my name to the pile, let’s get that battery enclosure proof-of-concept to the marketplace! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone started with a DIY version?

From the released data sheets it seems to be the Aces 50458-xxxxx-xxx connector/socket:

The pinout is on this datasheet:

Having trouble finding a source for smaller quantities of the socket

Wouldn’t recommend it due to safety issues, unless you are using a proper chipset with battery protection already implemented. I also have a source for some connectors as well. ($0.40USD per pc)

yes, the plan would be to design the PCB with the chipsets etc on it

Right now I don’t ‘need’ the bigger battery but I would buy one and the battery case the second it became available. I just can’t waste the old battery by not doing anything with it.

3 Likes

I would absolutely love this, either DIY or from FW. If anyone makes progress with a DIY solution then please do share!

3 Likes

+1 for battery case that turns the old battery into a USB-C PD recipient and provider

+2 if it seamlessly stacked with a thunderbolt/ USB-4 dock that made use of spare expansion card and / or expansion bay modules

stack? why just stack? I want it to be a full USB-C dock! :wink: see

I would assume the stacking means you can stack the battery bank with the usb-c dock so you can have a battery-powered, laptop-charging usb-c dock – you might just need a extra cable.
That’s going to be sick.

it would be much easier to have such a product so we can reuse these lithium cells beyond their live inside the laptops. Also applies to other laptop lithium cells.

Technically, you can recycle them now – you just have to disassemble the pack and take out the cells. But this is NOT a trivial process and frankly I suggest nobody do that. This is how I ended up with 6 4000mAh Li-Hv cells (two dead packs for the Fujitsu with a single puffed cell)

It’s not necessarily difficult to find a socket, but a exact one that actually fits is going to be a nightmare

8 Position 1 Row 2 mm Headers & Wire Housings – Mouser

Especially when the connector is (proprietarily) keyed (and also uses blade pins rather than square pins)
But I did find this and this. None of which is the actual part they use, but it “look close enough”. With enough patience I believe the actual part can eventually be find.

It would be so much easier if it’s just “Oh it’s a 8-pin Molex Duraclik’” or “a 5-pin connector compatiable with (Molex) Picoblade”, but I also understand that they have their own expectations (and/or standards) regarding this connector.

Also putting my vote in for this. I would definitely purchase one of these.

1 Like

I feel like the potential for this kind of stuff with the framework laptop is really amazing. already loving seeing the cooler master case, but a battery case or a dock with an old battery would be so next level.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1686461742409449473
Alas, if only I were at LTX to add “battery case” to the table

1 Like

Some excellent suggestions.
Mountain bike, hair drier, microwave, garage door, flamethrower, shoes, bunnies

1 Like

I need a FrameThrower :pleading_face:

3 Likes

IIRC Tesla/SpaceX sell them, they’re referred to as ‘temperature enhancement devices’

1 Like

Keeping the topic alive! I am waiting for the battery case and will buy it along with the bigger battery for my framework 11gen as soon as they are both available for purchase. Hurray for the lowered shipping costs in the EU!

6 Likes

@accidentally Dude i feel you.

1 Like