Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hello, I am a system admin and the team is due for new laptops we have all decided to get the Frameworks as a team. Running Linux in a Windows environment and the convenience of customization is why I decided on FW16.

6 Likes

Hello. I am a software engineer looking for a 13 inch portable laptop that supports Linux. Framework seems amazing and I will be joining the gang soon. Thought I should join the community first and explore how everyone is feeling about the 13 now that 16 is out.

4 Likes

Hi, I am Till Kamppeter, leader of the OpenPrinting project and therefore responsible for printing in Linux and many other operating systems.

I am also looking into buying a Framework (the 13 model) and would like if prnters and multi-function devices could also get more modular and repairable …

9 Likes

Hi all,

I am a math graduate and software engineer, total noob with hardware, I just oredered a DIY Framework 13 with no OS, it looks like the first steps are very well documented, so looking forward to receiving what I expect will be my computer for the next decade. The way you can configure it and even change your mind later and order an additional part to make a variant or upgrade of your machine is so neat!

5 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I’m a Sr. Client Services Technician at a public university for my day job. Other than that in the technology space I dabble with a few things. Currently my main projects are my Ticket Auction Manager (dbob16/ticket-auction-manager on GitHub), which is a Microsoft Access database which can ODBC Connect to a MariaDB backend for high-volume penny social auctions (mainly for non-profit fundraisers); I’m also currently working on ticket-auction-manager-py which is a Python version of the same project, for those who don’t want to be dependent on Microsoft products.

My work and repo updates bounce back and forth between being done on my Framework 13 DIY (13th gen Intel, works great) and a custom built desktop. I also use my Framework to work logistics of local penny social auctions using my Ticket Auction Manager project, as well as giving presentations about internet safety.

I lurk on and off on the forums and reply to topics which I feel I can add value to.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

My Framework laptop will mostly be for home use. (I might write my next book on it… if the keyboard is good?) I’ve been a loyal Apple user since before it was what the cool kids were toting: ever since 1992. I always bought premium Apple gear in an effort to run games in my spare time. Eventually I tried a Windows desktop for gaming while keeping the Mac for “proper” work. And you know what? Windows 10 wasn’t as awful as I had feared. Debian was fine, too.

Faced with the hike in Apple prices, a decline in quality and the virtual inability to repair their machines, I decided to be scammed no longer. So goodbye Apple after 31 years; hello Framework.

5 Likes

well I guess I’ll introduce myself, too

gm

i’m jim

i’m a self-confessed nerd and decided that I would spend the cash on an upgradable laptop to be greener and future proof. patiently waiting for a 16 because the led matrices wowed me enough (who doesn’t like blinkenlights?)

i’m not particularly qualified or decorated like some here, but i’m always willing to learn more about the sand we tricked into doing maths. i have a lot of half finished projects, but i think i want to focus more on software stuff at the moment since that’s where i’m most rusty, but i do enjoy hardware and maker topics, too.

5 Likes

The source of that term places you, like me, in a quite narrow age group. :grin: Welcome.

Dino

2 Likes

Greetings fellow travelers,

I am new to Framework having just received my Framework 13 AMD Ryzen laptop earlier this week. The DIY process was fun and easy. I installed Ubuntu 23.10 and it’s been running fine. The performance on this laptop is snappy. I like the keyboard too.

I am an open source developer with several projects I distribute for a wide range of Linux distributions and macos. I’m using the Framework 13 laptop as a test bed for my projects installing, configuring, and running on Ubuntu 23.10.

I am also an audio enthusiast and plan to integrate the Framework 13 laptop into my home audio setup using my MusicPlayerPlus project, mpd, a local audio library, and output to an S.M.S.L. SU-9 DAC feeding my Pioneer SX-850 receiver.

I am very pleased with the Framework 13.

Congratulations to the Framework team for a job well done!

Ronnie Record

5 Likes

I used to build all my own computers, from Win95 era onwards. Size of living space and need for portability moved me into laptops, so the inability to do even the most basic repairs served as a stimulus to give Framework a try, and now I am on the waitlist for a prebuilt Framework Overkill with all the bells, whistles, and graphics card. Some of the posts by other users, and I will say you are amazingly civil and respectful, are a bit scary, and I just have to hope that none of the major gotcha’s will get me. While I only have one Dell 2 in 1 laptop, it is slowly dying, and I have to hope that it lasts long enough to get everything installed on a working Framework. I am sure I will need the expertise represented by this community and will do what I can to support others. Something about “it takes a village.”

5 Likes

hi everybody, I’m physician, scientist&editor, using computer mainly for writing/editing text+ some basic statistics. I would love Framework to expand to all EU, as currently living in Poland I can’t buy one…so for I stay with my not-so-much environmental friendly thinkpad&look forward to have the opportunity to buy Framework :)))

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! You can technically buy Framework Laptop in Poland and all the EU countries now. You can check Great news for unsupported EU countries - Updates to EU availability for details.

3 Likes

hello, and thank you for your info, but the method you refer to really makes no sense… I still can’t but directly in my country, “importing from another EU country” mentioned as “great news” makes not much sense. Ask a collegue in another country to make me a favor and re-ship laptop? Imagine you can buy an item from EU in the US, but it will be shipped only to Canada :))

1 Like

I think the process is legal, and acknowledged in Framwork’s knowledge base article .

Probably there is a history or a context or things about this topic that you may not know. That’s why people including me recognize that the news is great on the mentioned thread. I don’t intend to discuss with you in addition about this topic. Anyway, of course, you can just wait until Poland is supported. Happy waiting!

2 Likes

Thx :slight_smile: I have corrested my post, of course it is legal. Just troublesome. Anyway, I am waiting patiently :))

1 Like

Hello all! I’m new and excited to be here. I’ve had my eye on framework for years now and finally took the plunge. Up till now I’ve pretty much always used MSI or Razer. To be fair, both are solid options except MSIs build quality is always the best and razer has customer support and battery swelling issues. Not to mention, I would like to just fix something when it’s broken but finding reliable parts distributers is a nightmare.

Anyway, I’m quite impressed with the build quality of framework and the attention to detail. I do wish the 13" had two m.2 slots but that’s not a major issue.

I hope in the near future we can see third parties jumping on the framework bandwagon with more expansion cards, customization options or even components.

No complaints about frameworks keyboard at all, but wouldn’t it be cool to be able to buy an addressable RGB keyboard? Or even if razer or Corsair made a keyboard compatible with their software. (I know, ew to RGB software-its all terribly made)

Imagine cases and accessories designed for the framework laptops. Like a Nomatic level backpack designed with slots for your expansion cards or GPU for the FW 16?

Anyway, I’m really excited to see how framework progresses and just as excited to see this community grow. I mean, razer was once a very niche company that no one knew about. Love or hate em, they e definitely grown past that and dropped some industry changing products.

Well, thank you for staying for my long winded post dump!

3 Likes

Hi, welcome to the community, hope you like it here. Thank you for your feedback as well! :heart:

1 Like

What’s really funny is my brother and I were talking about a modular laptop design around 15 years ago. Swappable ports, graphics, CPU, etc. Then you guys come around lol

While I have you here, this keyboard is amazing. I am writing a few novels and, though I primarily do it from my desktop, I have been wanting a laptop with a good keyboard. Razer is okay, but their keys always seem a little… wobbly I guess? My early thoughts on FWs keyboard was that the keys felt a little mushy. But after using it for writing and taking notes in class, I find my initial impression was way off. I honestly don’t think I have ever had a better typing experience. And that backlight is perfect. Color, brightness, function key to toggle. Just awesome.

I also geeked out over the use of magnets everywhere. That seriously made aligning the typing cover and screen satisfying- just snaps right in place.

Also, my ITIL instructor said he might have to switch back to windows (currently using macbook air) after seeing the FW lol

2 Likes

I appreciate the feedback, i’m sure our internal teams will de delighted to hear your feedback, cheers! (as a person who writes A LOT, I also think that the keyboard is very neat)

1 Like

He could always use Linux on it, doesn’t have to be Windows.

1 Like