Western Digital Drive Update Guide Without Windows/WD Dashboard

To disable Secure Boot, execute this from the terminal (assuming your distro uses systemd).

systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

Navigate to Security, then Secure Boot and disable it.

1 Like

after exploring the repo, it seems it supports WD Disks.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t come to my goal with that tool. Tried with 2 different NVMe SSDs, but ended with “Firmware Download Failed” twice.

1. WD BLACK SN770 2TB (brand new disk)
    I ended up with this firmware file:
    https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/firmware/WD_BLACK_SN770_2TB/731100WD/device_properties.xml
    Error Log File showed the following:
error code: 6
error subcode: 65282
  1. SanDisk Ultra 3D NVMe 2TB (internal disk, already in use for some time)
    Ended up here: https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/firmware/SanDisk_Ultra_3D_NVMe_2TB/234200WD/device_properties.xml

with the following Error Log Info:

error code: 1
error subcode: 0

Any help appreciated. Can anybody enlighten me?

@Adsubia,

I flashed/updated 1x WD BLACK SN770 500 GB + 1x WD BLACK SN770 1 TB and all succeeded very quickly.

I was wondering did you put all the files from Embeddedlinux.zip in the root of the usb and. formatted the usb with MBR/FAT32? I think that I first used GPT instead of MBR and that was not working.

Also you need to enter the firmware filename (731100WD.fluf must also be in the root of the usb stick) Inside the linux update tool

Keep in mind that in Linux filenames are Case-Sensitive, so it must match the correct file + casing.

You also might need to check the bios/uefi of your motherboard if the nvme ssd’s are using the correct (auto? m2?) settings to get detected.

Good luck.

I have a:

• WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB drive
  • Model WDBRPG0010BNC-WRSN
  • Firmware version 102000WD

Does anyone have this firmware? Or any firmware for this drive, even older?

You checked https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/config/devices/lista_devices.xml ? cause I cant find it with the info you gave. does it work? thenrun those commands under linux maybe?

edit: this isnt you ? SN750 Firmware .FLUF file urgently needed - WD SSD Drives & Software - WD Community (I think this user could just have looked at their ESP, uefi partition and cleaned up the firmware files and set windows as the next boot option. not sure if this is the case but https://www.easyuefi.com/ in windows would allow editing of the boot part. not even sure the firmware flasher would just flash a incompatible firmware )

Hi,

JFYI, my successful WD BLACK SN850X 2GB firmware upgrade using standard nvme-cli tool:

@Edward_Felder, thank you for the manual+links to firmware/.flur files!

3 Likes

This was perfect! Instructions were very detailed and it worked on the first try! Hopefully this will prevent my Framework from freezing on me. It’s only very recently that my laptop started freezing though, even though I’ve had it for over a year… I wonder if there was a Linux kernel update that wasn’t playing nice with the old firmware…?

1 Like

To streamline the update process I wrote a bash script for Ubuntu / Linux Mint. It combines this and Oleksadrs post:

2 Likes

@not_a_feature it never occurred to me that the fluf file is the direct firmware image that you can send via nvme … :slight_smile:

I’ve made some updates to your script, some drives have more than onve firmware version available and you need to select which one you will upgrade to, I am guessing you can do some lookup with dependencies and look for the currently installed firmware rev and then decide to which version you should upgrade to and if it’s latest, but I only fixed it so I can upgrade my drive if I select the correct one :slight_smile:

updated rev:
https://gist.github.com/Klaas-/ffa1e0759f0b9e6a1fcc94c2fb1aa8d7
feel free to integrate into yours, then I’ll remove my fork.

I also fixed some stuff shellcheck complained about.

Example of a disk with two firmwares available:
WD_BLACK SN850X 1000GB

and maybe some todos for anyone who wants to play around some more:
there are multiple firmware slots, maybe it would be a good idea to check which slot is supposed to be used for a new firmware ( nvme-fw-commit(1) — Arch manual pages )

My disk has two slots for example. Both are read/write so you should check which slot is running current firmware and update the other one.
also you can see if you can apply the firmware online:

$ nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0 -H|grep -i Firm
[9:9] : 0x1 Firmware Activation Notices Supported
[4:4] : 0x1 Firmware Activate Without Reset Supported
[3:1] : 0x2 Number of Firmware Slots
[0:0] : 0 Firmware Slot 1 Read/Write
$ nvme fw-log /dev/nvme0
Firmware Log for device:nvme0
afi : 0x2
frs1 : 0x4457313133303236 (620311WD)
frs2 : 0x4457313633303236 (620361WD)

3 Likes

The script worked like a charm to upgrade an SN850X 1TB from 620331WD to 620361WD. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

deleted my fork, changes now incorporated into original script

3 Likes

Thanks to you and @not_a_feature the script worked beautifully.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this thread while getting increasingly irritated by my WD SN770’s propensity to flub a wake-from-s2-idle and cause the kernel to remount all my filesystems read-only.

Yesterday, irritation exceeded trepidation and encouraged by @Klaas successfully hacking on @not_a_feature’s script I decided to take the plunge. In case it matters:

$ uname -r
6.1.0-1027-oem
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Linuxmint
Description:	Linux Mint 21.1
Release:	21.1
Codename:	vera

My first attempt at running the script failed. The output gave me the clue I needed. Mint does not include the nvme-cli package and so the command-line tools were not available.
Suggestion: the script be modified to check this and bale early. Happy to submit a patch (not sure it warrats a pull request).

With nvme-cli installed the script ran and produced some unexpected and faintly troubling output.

Model: WD_BLACK SN770 500GB
Firmware Revision: 731030WD

Firmware File: 731120WD.fluf
Dependencies:
731030WD
731100WD

Downloading firmware from https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/firmware/WD_BLACK_SN770_500GB/731120WD/731120WD.fluf...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 2732k  100 2732k    0     0  2442k      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 2443k

Firmware download success
Firmware download complete. Switching to new firmware...
Success committing firmware action:3 slot:2
Multiple Update Detected (MUD) Value: 2202615
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from a Management Endpoint
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from an Admin SQ on a controller
Firmware update process completed. Please reboot.

I steeled myself for a bricked SSD and rebooted. Happily, everything seemed peachy (and continues to be so).

$ cat /sys/class/nvme/nvme0/firmware_rev
731120WD

Perhaps one of you knowledgeable contributors could help NVMe newbies (like me) understand what ‘Multiple Update’ means in this context.

Thanks for making this available. I’ll report back if it didn’t fix my read-only filesystem problem.

Dino

2 Likes

Hi,

that’s a wonderful suggestion.

I’ve add the requirements checks and converted the gist into a proper repository.

3 Likes

Reporting back to say that since I updated its firmware to 731120WD my WD_BLACK SN770 (details above) has not failed on wake from S2idle in 35 days.

I can’t say that the relationship between S2idle events and drive failures was random but there was no discernible pattern to those failures. Most often the drive would fail every other week although there were several failures that were separated by only a day or two. The longest run between failures was 9 weeks but that was an outlier.

My Framework 13 enters S2idle at least once a day; often many times more. I almost never shut it down. The same usage profile has continued since the firmware was updated.

I’m declaring this a success but will return to update you if the problem ever recurs.

Dino

1 Like

:warning: News: Use the interactive tool wd-fw-update.

1 Like

Thank you for the FW guide, successfully upgraded my SN740 2TB FW by a SN770M one.

So far no issues switching from 73110000 to 731120WD

Hope now my dell would stop freezing after deep sleep

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: WD Green SSD Firmware Download Failed

Hey, Thanks for the guide, I don’t know if this guide is just for nvme devices or can be applied on SATA SSDs as well, but I’ve tried it on my WD SA510 500G device and am getting “Firmware download Failed” error, here are my logs paste-bin It looks like that I have the same error as @Adsubia (community dot frame dot work/t/western-digital-drive-update-guide-without-windows-wd-dashboard/20616/33) with his first SSD if you look at the end of my logs, but I don’t see if he manged to solve the problem or not. I’m pretty sure that I’ve found the correct fluf file here: wdDashboard/firmware/WD_Blue_SA510_2.5_500GB/52046100/device_properties.xml

(Looks like I can’t put more than 2 links in my comment :|)

I’m having a bad time with this WD SSD, it become read-only randomly after a while and it’s brand new, and there is a firmware update clearly addressing this issue wd-website but I cannot update to it (even in a windows installation the WD Dashboard is not recognizing my device)

Anyone have any idea what I can do to apply this firmware updete?