What batch am I? (Is it even relevant anymore?)

I posted the above before I saw the other thread. That order was placed on 12/11, if that helps any wrt figuring out revision. If there’s anything specific that you’d like to know or have tested let me know. I use a batch one (rev 1?) as my primary machine. The newer one is a family/test machine, so I have more latitude to fiddle around with it.

1 Like

Interesting. Well, I would love to compare Windows power plan settings pages between the two - if you’re a Windows guy. This page, on mine, has always been barren - and it came with a strange default setting of 20 minutes for hibernate time (I changed it to “never”, of course, as I hibernate when/where needed by myself with “shutdown -h”). I really don’t care to burn out the SSD that quickly! haha.

It’s a bit barren, compared to the typical power plan page on any other computer – like the computer I’m increasingly considering my “dream PC” (if it weren’t horribly overpowered with an unnecessary dedicated GPU), a ThinkPad P52:

That’s what a power plan page SHOULD look like :joy: But this computer doesn’t do any of that “modern standby” stuff - and it even has real touchpad buttons :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I only want to know what the heck revision my computer is, as to what group of owners I belong to.

Keep in mind everyone here must treat everyone else with respect. With that in mind I’ve had to delete some posts and edit others.

We’ll keep the thread open for now because @Matt_Falcon deserves help and answers to his legitimate questions, but if things degenerate further this thread will be closed.

5 Likes

Ignoring the power plan options, which is a Windows issue, as it’s not Batch related.

Your assumption about batch and revision is just that, an assumption.

I have seen no evident that two or more batches don’t have the same hardware and firmware setup.

No doubt some batches may and do have but they are not dependent, so maybe you are asking for something that only exists in your mind any hence no one can help.

Where did you get this idea that batches relate to revisions? Because they are coincident in some cases ???

1 Like

Tempo audio chip change in particular (leaving the driver pack feeling incomplete/broken, as if for another model, because there’s no driver for Tempo, leaving me with “High Definition Audio Device”). My experience with being part of a small company and shipping ever-changing revisions also had a lot to do with it (it wasn’t even organized enough to call things “batches” - just a constant churn of revisions on-the-fly; everyone got whatever version we had at the time). Everyone seemed to know “their batch” except for me. Thus, this change to remove batch numbers because they were deemed “irrelevant” left me feeling homeless in the community - a computer with no group identity, no point-in-time I can say “hey I have a Batch 8” and everyone immediately knows what point-in-time that refers to. Whether Batch 8 and 9, 10 are the same is irrelevant - I can say I have a Batch 8 and know that’s what it is, what it has, and who else has a similar one.

That was my goal here with asking, and why I think it’s still good to know. If it isn’t possible to clearly refer to US shipments as batches anymore, there ought to at least be some other way to refer to ourselves as such a point-in-time model of machine. (like a v1.03 motherboard - something!)

All I ask is for some sort of identity, because it’s very clear that a Batch 1 isn’t quite the same as a Batch 8 (Realtek vs Tempo, at the bare minimum - heard murmurs of other uncertain changes). At the moment, all there is to go by is “Batch #”, even if that’s not the most relevant detail - it provides grounding for people to refer to their builds.

@amoun makes a good point.

At first, all shipments were in limited quantity batches. They probably were all manufactured at once so they all had identical hardware. Then feedback came back about improvements that should be made. So Batch 2 incorporated some improvements, batch 3 some more, batch 4 a few more, etc. Each batch is effectively its own revision.

Then things start to get fuzzier. The accelerometer gets dropped and the Tempo chip gets substituted. @RandomUser says this was Batch 4 but I have a Batch 4 and I don’t have a Tempo chip and I do have an accelerometer. So Batch 5? 6?

The announcement that orders for the U.S. and Canada will be filled from stock comes around Batch 8. Batches 8, 9 and 10 are larger quantity batches, likely allocated from the even larger batches going to build stock for the U.S. and Canada. Perhaps they’re even being continuously manufactured by then. By that point, it’s impossible to tell which batch a U.S./Canada unit is. Revisions are still occurring, @RandomUser referred to an alternate source FET, for example, but it’s not clear cut or easy to identify.

Yes, revision numbers would be useful. Perhaps we could decode the FRANBMCP serial numbers?

It could also be that it’s not very relevant at this point. If you have an issue, others in your revision might have the same issue, or they might not. But others in other revisions may also have the same issue. There really doesn’t seem to be any consistency and things don’t seem directly attributable to batches or revisions at this point. This is based on looking at many, many threads.

1 Like

Around batch 4, Framework ran into supply chain issues with the sound cards. After I ordered my Batch 5, I visited the forums around the time Batch 4 was being received with the Tempo sound card. At that time, Batch 5 was a mixed bag. I had hoped the would still be shipping accelerometer in my batch 5.

3 Likes

Yeah, my Batch 4 unit has a Tempo chip and shipped with 3.06. Sometime mid-batch they likely had to make the revision, or used up what stock they had left.

2 Likes

I completely understand the need to gauge what group your laptop was originally in. I am US, recieving mine around April 1st and was informed that no batch applied to me. It was a little frustrating, but when I needed help, Framework was stand up! That’s really what matters in the long run.

3 Likes

Maybe this “no batch” thing was because they were preparing 12th gen laptop + mod to the lid and hinges… It was the last batch of its kind. Meaning they produced the last orders + some extras to fill the gap before the shipment of 12th gen batches.
Ordered a 12th gen 1 month ago on “batch 2”

1 Like