What if Framework sold Empty Expansion Cards?

We are running in circles here. There are obviously people who have higher expectations regarding aesthetics than you. This thread is about the demand and not about arguing against the demand.

I get that but you are asking other users for their opinions not Framework if they will do as you demand.

I’m just making it clear I think it unreasonble and point to the fact that there are options.

But yes I can see a few people would like such. Maybe one day Framework will make such when they are not so busy or have nothing better to do.

So I’ll leave you to your demands :slight_smile:

Framework is reading their forums very carefully, other demands from these forums were already fulfilled, like 12th gen cpus and ethernet dongles. Other users can join the line in this thread and tell their demand too. That’s the main purpose of this thread.

Yep, we don’t get to every thread at the moment (though that is the purpose of this role we’re hiring for: Framework - Community Support Manager ).

That said, we don’t currently have any plan to do an Empty Expansion Card. We released 3D printable designs so that folks can either print their own spacers or get them printed by a services like iMaterialize, Shapeways, Treatstock, Hubs, or similar. The cards are tiny, so it is ultra-cheap to have them printed, even in materials that are normally expensive.

2 Likes

It seems fairly straight forward to me. You can print a card reduced on three sides by 0.3 mm and use some aluminium sheet the same thickness to cover those sides. It will cut with a utility blade and should bend sharply around the edges as it’s so thin, but still thick enough to have some integrity. That’s pretty much how original cards are made anyway.

Just in case any ones interested here are two cases, one reduced by 0.3 mm and the other by 0.4 mm. The flat beams can be used on either side of the sheet to act as a bending jig.

a framework case reduc .stl (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Okay, I’ve made a pretty good replica of an official card, there are a couple different types. I’ll put them up here in case any one cares.

replica 03.stl (724.8 KB)

replica.stl (711.0 KB)

replica2.stl (606.2 KB)

3 Likes

What’s the difference between the three versions?

1 Like

One has no screw posts, one’s just normal and one has a 0.3 mm recess on the outside to coat with aluminium if you want it authentic. Here’s an almost exact copy.

replica done.stl (798.6 KB)

replica done 03.stl (807.0 KB)

And, lastly, one very accurate one. If you removed the aluminium, that’s what it looks like, or near enough. There are little slide latches that lock the top in place.

replica accurate.stl (848.9 KB)

replica accurate2.stl (849.4 KB)

3 Likes