What is the Framework Laptop DIY Edition?

The Framework Laptop DIY Edition is a deeply configurable version of the product which arrives at your doorstep as a kit of modules you can assemble yourself. This lets us offer a broad range of keyboard, bezel color, memory, and storage options, as well as the ability for you to choose your preferred operating system. For those of you who prefer a system that you can unbox and immediately power on, we also offer traditional pre-built Framework Laptop options.

8 Likes

Will any soldering be necessary? I can solder, but prefer not to mess around on MoBo PCBs.

3 Likes

Nope! The whole assembly process is actually really straightforward and only needs the screwdriver we include in the box.

15 Likes

This is excellent news! I assume it will support the option to Dual Boot (W10/Linux) if I add a 1TB card slot and additional SSD?

2 Likes

Yes, you can dual boot either through two partitions on the internal SSD or by installing a second OS onto a Storage Expansion Card.

5 Likes

@PixelPaintbrush We recently published a blog post about the Storage Expansion Cards if you’re curious to know a bit more about them! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome, definitely buying 1 or 2 1TB drives then

So, how many SSD and SATA slots would be there in the board?
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

@George_Sandeep there is one M.2 2280 socket for an SSD on the mainboard, and you can add additional storage with the 250GB and 1TB Expansion Cards.

Is there any price decrease between the DIY version and the same specs but pre-built? I would think that there could be some savings from the reduced labor on your end.

5 Likes

If we bring our own WiFi card, will the antenna still be provided?

1 Like

@CFG9000 Yep! The antenna is built into the lid assembly.

2 Likes