What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Thanks for the context. I’m used to USB 2 so if I do ever try this, it’s much appreciated. As for concern, a charging brick could easily store hardware, and then it’s just routing a couple extra cables. I believe any competent attacker could make it work.

1 Like

you also know that a very easy way to stop malware from auto-launching on external storage is to disable Autoplay, right?
This way you will never worry about anything you plug into your computer. And your favorite antivirus program will warn you about it before anything bad could happen.
Of course, there are other USB devices (e.g., usb keyboard hack maybe) a hacker can enumerate, so if you really want the extra step, you can take it.

2 Likes

I don’t run Windows, don’t have any form of autoplay, and do stay up to date with security patches. I’m mainly concerned about USB HID impersonation.

2 Likes

I’d like to see a FireWire 400 + FireWire 800 card (though I’m not sure how doable that would be, especially with the voltage conversion).

1 Like

im know people brought up the wheel thing before, but this brought a few things to mind that might not have been mentioned. 1: i think asus makes a laptop with a wheel like this on the top and its programmable, so being able to customize functions would be great. the second thing is that i own a corsair keyboard with a programable wheel, so yeah. would be pretty neat to have

1 Like

For a wheel to stick out on the top would mean a bulge sticking out of the laptop, and I don’t think that would fit the current aesthetics of the aluminum chassis.

Shameless plug:

Honestly, I’d say it’s crude at the moment, but there are ways that it can be improved later on. Currently, I have not found any rotary encoders that would fit within 2mm (in height) while sporting a knob wheel, so it’s not possible fit it in a standard expansion card form.

3 Likes

A couple expansion cards I’m working on and off on is miniDP, DVI, VGA. At least I can just make a basic usb-c to DP schematic and then add the chips required to do DVI and whatnot, would anyone like mini HDMI?

I would settle for a working HDMI port - I can’t get audio on mine using Windows 10 or Ubuntu 21.04. 5G capability would be good either as a port expansion card or internal w/ ESIM. I like the 2 USB C card idea. Microcontroller idea is cool too. Magnetic power would save the life if USB C connections.

wow. Those are ancient. We (my family) have had computers with firewire 400 ports (but never any device)

You likely need active adapters for those. I don’t think it will be worthwhile to keep them in expansion cards …
You can have some absolutely fantastic adapters (especially those old ones back in the day), however.

500GB Expansion. 1TB is too much. 250 is too small. Very interested in the USB C magnetic charger mod.

3 Likes

Is 1TB too much due to cost or some other reason? Never heard someone say they have too much memory. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes. My sweet spot is 500GB no need for anything larger.

1 Like

I’ve had some interesting charging experiences with lower-power laptops, notably what would be in roughly the same power category as a Framework: The XPS 13. When off, or sleeping, the XPS 13 would accept charge from literally anything, including a 5V, 0.85A KINDLE CHARGER. When awake it demanded higher voltage to accept charge, but it would accept the Nintendo power brick, which provided 15V, 2.6A.

I also have a Pixelbook which doesn’t seem to like the Kindle charger, but will gladly charge from any 5V 2A phone charger, if with a complaint notification about the charger being low power. It does still charge, though.

I want to echo the desire for a PoE ethernet card.

Ethernet ports are also too big, but thin laptops will have the port be folded and expand anytime it needs to be used. you could engineer something similar here lol

there is also this origami port which could work as well.

1 Like

A 500gb card would be nice, but I’d love a 128gb version as well.

These are in no particular order and I don’t know how realistic these are:

1. A small emergency rechargeable power bank with manual toggle to switch input/output charging.

2. A double usb-c port that makes use of existing double usb-c hubs.

3. A hardware temperature and humidity reader (with small LCD panel).

4. A GPS tracker.

5. A spring loaded drawer (to hold small items like the Framework tool bit or a tiny ice pack to help keep the chassis cool).

This exists: SNACK: Sd cards, Notes, Appitizers, Cash, and Keepsakes. A Drawer Expansion Card - #82 by Brando

2 Likes

HDMI 2.1 for 4k@120 Hz with VRR+10/12 Bit HDR support would be great!
Probably the internal ports cannot deliver 48 GBit/s, but 40 GBit/s (perhaps with the help of DSC) could already offer many features and resolutions that classic HDMI 2.0 can’t.

Maybe a very tiny tank of high pressure 2000psi fart spray that releases if the module is released while it is locked?

4 Likes

A mobile GPU. I’ve been struggling to get my EVGA 1080 ti loading on my system (not showing up in the device manager) with a Sonnet Breakaway Box 750ex. Everything turns on, including the GPU, but all that loads are the USB/Ethernet drivers.