What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

We had talks about dual USB-C ports, but what about a combo USB-A/USB-C card? We wouldn’t need to be concerned about power input on both ports that way.
Plus putting two combo cards on a laptop would give the same number of A and C ports as getting one dual USB-A and one dual USB-C card while not worrying about how tight two USB-A ports side by side would be to use.

4 Likes
  • PIV reader.
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Serial port

I would be interested in an HDMI input so that I could plug in my nintendo switch and use the laptop screen to play. (not sure if this would require a MUX switch in the mainboard for low/no latency?) If this was available in a later version of Framework, I would definitely buy one.

5 Likes

Currently impossible due to the chipset and GPU

theoretically could be done by replacing the panel with one that has a hdmi input as well as whatever the framework uses, and routing that outside the case

A couple of ideas:

i) Wireless Conference Speaker and Microphone

ii) Emergency phone charger with USB C output or wireless charging support

@Mike2 i wonder if something like the Genki ShadowCast could be integrated. Might not be enough room. But that’s what it’s for. May as well be a USB-C hdmi input that’s a capture card, and is what they made it for. Switch, PS4, etc. anything hdmi displayed in their app on the laptop. It’s not big, but the expansion card slots are smaller.

2 Likes

Hello, I have been a faithful member of this community
for a while. One thing I would really appreciate is something lie, this from the aero family.

This was such a smart decision on gigabyte’s part, as you waste no space. So what I would want is a kind of big rectangular crevice to hold these all-in-one docks. That would be sick.

1 Like

A 3.5mm audio jack expansion card with a DAC converter in itself. Will help playing and forwarding sounds to both speaker as well to the jack at expansion cards.

How are we doing on official expansion cards? Waiting for the ethernet and hopefully magsafe charging modules. An official progress update would be nice.

Magsafe will never happen. Magsafe is Apple and Framework is not. There might be magnetic charging, but it will never be magsafe.

See this for maybe a better alternative, I’ve ordered 10 :slight_smile:

@slickmann1

Sure, magnetic charging. However, I take your point, it’s not strictly the right term. Should have been in quotes.

An official magnetic connector won’t happen. Such a connector can create ESD issues, degrade the signal and is generally not USB compliant. Framework is currently aiming for thunderbolt certification, which is even more strict than USB.

Selling such a connector would be highly counter productive.

Hi @Jonathan_Haas

Not sure that is alweays the case.

Did you see the link above to Syllucids ‘new’ offer.
USB2 compliant, QC3 and PD charging, and Fairtrade

That cable doesn’t have the USB logo on it and therefore likely isn’t USB certified. The FAQ only lists the following certifications: "Our cable is CE, RoHS and FCC certified. "

That said, the cable linked above only supports 2.0 speeds, so yes, it’s less an issue with such slow speeds and it’s easier to add ESD protection and so on for such a cable and that cable might actually be somewhat usable. I still don’t believe Framework will recommend or sell something like that themselves.

2 Likes

I dislike the need of bringing dongles. However, 3 USB-A is indeed a tiny little bit more than enough

You can smash $100 on making the best cable but spent $1 on the worst connectors possible.
A cord consists of both parts.

Also. That cord is only for charging.

I hate to say but most braided cables have worse connectors than regular “silicone” cables, despite often sold more expensive.

1 Like

I would love to see a Logitech Unifying expansion card, my usb dongle sticking out of the side is annoying at times.

3 Likes

I would also like this. For Logitech wireless gaming devices, they have a per device USB receiver, so it would actually be great to have an expansion card that would take a pair of receivers.

They just about would fit in the space available, but with very little left for a border if they were to try to sit flush.

About them sitting flush as well… it could be that the metal case could block the signal, so they might work better with them still protruding outside of the side of the laptop.

Hi @nrp
2 questions, cause we’re talking about all ideas for new expansion cards here, but I think the marketplace is not yet available for Europe. Is this correct? I assume (maybe wrongly) that I need the market place for ordering modules. is this assumption correct?