What’s new in this year’s Framework Laptop 13: Part 1 (upgrades)

At the Framework Next Level Event, we shared a range of new upgrades for the Framework Laptop 13: a matte display, improved 3.5kg hinges, and a higher capacity 61Wh battery. Each of these is a result of listening to the feedback from the Framework Community, running research surveys with subscribers to the Framework Newsletter, and generally thinking through how we can continue to make the Framework Laptop as excellent as possible.

First, the new 13.5” matte display takes the exact display we’ve been using since launch made by BOE, and customizes it to make the top layer to have a matte surface. We’re keeping the same high 2256x1504 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, 400 nit brightness, 1500:1 contrast ratio, and 100% sRGB color gamut. In the past, matte displays have sometimes been excessively grainy, blurring out the screen content. The matte surface on our new display avoids that with an ultra-fine structure that diffuses reflections without breaking display contrast and sharpness. This is actually the same surface material we’re using on the 16” display on the Framework Laptop 16. When we first saw the performance of it there, we worked with BOE to quickly bring it to our 13.5” panel.

Next, we’ve spent the last year working to reoptimize our hinge structure to tighten mechanical tolerances, get a balanced force profile, and reduce resonance, all while staying within the same physical constraints as the original hinges. With this, we’ve landed on 3.5kg force, between the original 3.3kg hinges and the optional 4.0kg hinges that are in the Marketplace. 3.5kg allows for one-hand opening while also holding the screen angle better while in bumpy environments like a car or plane. The hinges are rated and tested to 15,000 cycles of use, and are easy to replace if you ever wear them down after many years of use.

Finally, for the new 61Wh battery that comes pre-installed in the i7 and Ryzen 7 configurations, we worked with our supplier ATL to figure out how to maximize capacity within the same physical form factor as our original 55Wh battery. We landed on getting 11% higher capacity out of a new lithium ion chemistry with higher energy density. This includes moving to a new 4.45V cell voltage. We’re releasing firmware updates for 11th Gen and 12th Gen Framework Laptops to support the higher resulting pack voltage, and are coordinating with Google on support in the Chromebook Edition too.

Those are a lot of useful improvements, but we’re not done yet. We’ll be back next week with Part 2 where we share some of the smaller refinements and optimizations we’ve made to the new Framework Laptop 13.

20 Likes

Really appreciate the “series”, even though I wouldn’t mind having all the information in one place. :smirk:

2 Likes

Wil there be an option to “trade” my battery? I’ve preordered the Ryzen 5 and it comes with the smaller 55wh battery and I’d like to purchase the larger 61wh battery. However, until the enclosure (hopefully) comes out, I’ll be stuck with a battery with no uses an I’d be out $69 (nice). It would be nice if I could send in my old battery in or just pay the difference ($10 normally, $20 at the current sale price) but I doubt that would happen.

Does this mean the 12th gen firmware update that has been promised since Sept 2022 to address various issues and security vulns will actually be released?

2 Likes

I sincerely hope Coreboot was relegated to a footnote and it will be announced in one of these blog posts…

3 Likes

I don’t remember where I saw or read it (maybe someone does and can link?) this but this is not going to be an option as the 55wh batteries were included to keep costs down for those models as well as to make use of all the 55’s they have stock of.

Interesting to see the v2 hinges have 75% of the v1 hinges rated cycles, thanks for the transparency and for addressing the major pain points of the laptop.

I wonder if the delays for the firmware updates has been for the 61 Wh battery, I’m not sure if I hope that is the reason or not…

3 Likes

What constitute as 1 cycle? Opening 180 degrees and closing 180 degrees?

I have a problem with the following chart…as there’re two variables and it’s not clear how much of the improvement was brought on by the battery alone, or the processor generation. It’s not clear (to me) whether the 11% energy capacity increase (by voltage increase) means we can expect a linear runtime increase of 11%? (e.g. Doesn’t voltage conversion at different voltages has different level of energy loss?):

1 Like

Framework replied on Twitter saying that the battery alone does provide a linear +11% of that

1 Like

6Wh are 6wh, reguardless of voltage.

1 Like

For the cell, yes. But when that needs to be converted to other voltages for the components, then I’m not so sure. There’s energy loss / different component efficiency at different voltages…but I could be wrong. Or maybe the effect is very negligible with such a small difference in cell voltage.

I honestly don’t know…I’m asking. Something around DC-DC conversion efficiency…

2 Likes

Could check by looking at some of the electrical documentation, but these cells should run in parallel so the overall voltage difference might just be ~18V to 20V, and Vsys is already 20V. Whatever power management/delivery probably performs very similarly at those two voltages.

1 Like

DC-DC efficiency is a thing, though with the ones I worked with load played a much bigger factor in efficiency than a tiny difference in input voltage. But anyway, the difference is going to be a couple percent at most if even that and is pretty much going to drown in the manufacturing tolerances of the battery.

Where did you even get the information that the capacity change comes with a voltage change?

1 Like

This article mentions a new 4.45V cell voltage, i believe the old one was under 4.

1 Like

Right, derp.

4.45 is pretty spicy, I really do wonder what they define as one cycle now, 80% capacyity after 1000 100% dod cycles sounds very unrealistic to me, especially at that spicy a voltage.

1 Like

The increase in battery voltage is 0.05V from 4.4V to 4.45V whilst charging so about 1%. It says, somewhere the 11% (10.6)%

As the voltage difference is very small 0.05V I doubt there will be any dif.

Personally whereas the 55W I have can be 17.2 V I limit the battery to 16V and I don’t think that running at this lower voltage will impact the capacity to any noticeable degree.

In fact since I have reduced via Battery Charge limit the max voltage by 0.1V the wear is reportedly reduced. ???

2 Likes

Yes there is no statement as to what charge level was used to get 20% loss after 1000 cycles, however after 13 months and 62 cycles I have ‘apparently’ no wear, I’m expecting 2% for the first 100

The 55W battery has a max charge voltage of 4.4V/per cell and 17.2V
for the battery.

Though for the 61W the charge may be increased overall to 17.4V it does not mean that once the charge is off the battery will not be much the same as the 55W

1 Like

You did say you charge to 16v, so you are significantly undercharging the battery, given that it would be pretty alarming have any measurable wear after just 62 cycles even if they were full dod (from your limit of course). You definitely do lose some capacity from undercharging like that, it’s not free but probably worth it. Also you can always do a full charge when you know you’ll need it.

rule of thumb with the 4.2v cells was you’d about double the cycle life for every 0.05v you drop the max charge voltage. Would be really interesting to see a capacity map of that battery, if it’s anything like most of the batteries I have mapped the capacity per voltage falls off a cliff above 4.15 but those were mostly 4.2v rated cells.

2 Likes

I do a full discharge and charge 100% every few weeks. It is since then that my wear has gone from 7.4% to 2.7% ( It was 3.4% when I received it)

1 Like

By wear you mean just what the battery reports as energy full or something else?

A full discharge and charge lets the fuel gauge chip in the battery re-calibrate and give more accurate numbers, it doesn0t change the actual state of the battery except for the wear it puts on during that, doing it every couple weeks just for that sounds a bit excessive to me.

1 Like

It may be. By wear I mean

As for the effect of re-calibrating the chip stats, it seems that just about ever time I do the recorded wear is less

In the post above I gave a link which also points to the raw data I have collected for 13 months, multiple times a day with varying charges.

This month … the page has link to the previous month etc.

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/apr23.php

All a bit off topic though, so if you are interested in replying best use the other topic

1 Like