What to do with the old display

Hello all!

I recently ordered the new 120Hz display for my Framework Laptop 13 and I’m wondering what I should do with the old one. Is there a controller board I could get somewhere to turn it into an external monitor? Are there any CAD files for 3D printing a housing for it?

1 Like

i’m also looking

There must be a way to do it because here is one:

2 Likes

This seems like an area ripe for a third party solution, similar to the clamoring for an external battery case. I would love not only to be able to pop my old battery into a case, but also to be able to do the same with a display, to use as a second monitor or the like.

I am confident that some enterprising fool (joking!) who is more talented than I will step up and have people shouting at them to “shut up and take our money!” (joking again, but only sort of).

2 Likes

completly agree! i’d love a third party/fw complete solution

1 Like

I think we will see a lot people starting DIY when they upgrade to the new display. We’ll see bunch of options and new threads, it will be fun. You can wait until then.

Alternatively, you can try to sell your old display kit in the Community Market - Framework Community

2 Likes

I heard back from Framework support with the following information.

This is the model for the original glossy LCD

BOE NE135FBM-N41

And this is its connector:

IPEX 20455-040E

With more information here: Framework-Laptop-13/Display at main · FrameworkComputer/Framework-Laptop-13 · GitHub

Using that information, I found this controller board on eBay:

Still don’t know what I’ll do for a housing, but I’ll update this post if I find something out for that

1 Like

If you need some ideas, DIY Perks has done several videos on making monitors from laptop screens using different materials. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfirQC99xPc