Why does the laptop use Torx T5 screws?

First of all, I cannot tell you how excited I am about this laptop. I was recently in the market for a new laptop, and it was so hard to find something that was current generation that had SODIMM slots. You guys have really gone the extra mile.

Manufacturers employ many tactics to prevent repair, such as using special screw heads, having multiple screw types and sizes, and marrying components to the motherboard. Many of the tamper resistant screws I see are the Y000 (Nintendo, Apple), P2 and P5 Pentalobe (Apple), and on occasion, the Torx heads (HP, Lenovo, and many others).

While I know that Torx screws/drivers have become much more commonplace, I still see a level of tamper resistance to them. I know the laptop ships with a T5 driver + spudger, and it is built around the premise of being serviceable, repairable, and upgradeable. That much shows that your usage of Torx isn’t for tamper resistance. Yet I still wonder, why use the Torx head? I know the Torx head prevents cam out better than a Phillips head, so is that why?

I just felt like Phillips would have made the most sense to make the laptop easily and readily serviceable by anybody, so I’d like to know why Torx was chosen in favor of another screw head. Thank you for making a laptop with so much thought put into reparability, I really hope it takes off :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The reason to use mostly Torx T5 screw