Why is the FW16 so expensive?

Probably because :

• R&D
  • Relatively low volume sales → higher margin
  • The initial investment in setting up the production lines
  • The insurance framework will keep support for the laptop for a long time
5 Likes

It is a niche product with super low production numbers.

1 Like

With all due respect to Dave2D, he did not account for things like Linux support and repairablility, two things (especially the latter) Framework buyers buy their laptops for.

Also, I don’t really need the upgradability of Framework laptops. I bought a 16 inch Framework Laptop because it actually is fully repairable and is the only Linux laptop with an ANSI keyboard, a dGPU, and a 16:10 screen. No other Linux laptop has all of those with this level of repairability and modularity.

11 Likes

It’s very expensive and it’s a big mistake to price it because most customers won’t go for a framework.

It should reduce the profit margin until it is an established company.

But right now I have doubts about the future of framework 16.

FW13 worked so idk. Let’s see how it will turn out.

2 Likes

This kind of language is absolutely not acceptable in this forum. If you want to say you disagree with their decision, that’s fine, but you must do so in a way that complies with the community guidelines. I encourage you to edit your post and revisit this statement.

7 Likes

I remind you that in the past there were modular devices that failed as in the case of Google or Click Arm One, that is why it is so important to make them accessible to the public.

With that price the first users will buy it and from there there will be hardly any sales.

I do not doubt the good work of the framework team but with framework 13 they did not make that mistake and that is why it has been well received by the public.

But with framework 16 they have been wrong, that price condemns sales in the medium-long term.

And I repeat, Marco 13 is a great team. The framework developers have all my respect but they need to urgently reconsider the price.

I wish him a frame 16 the greatest success, I think it’s a great idea.

I spent £1499 on 13"

£1699 for the upgrade is cheap £200 more that’s all ??

3 Likes

I want to add one thing:

I wish the framework the best, I love their idea, they deserve to do great.

1 Like

The Framework 16 has 7840hs/7940hs 8 core CPUs while Framework 13 had 7640u/7840u CPUs. Thus, the least expensive Framework 16 CPU is similar to the most expensive Framework 13 CPU. The Framework 16 has two M2 slots and an expansion bay. It can run six port expansion cards at a time as opposed to four on the 13.

OK, so you might complain that Framework 16 is $230 more than Framework 13. However, Framework 16 appears to have more upgrade options, and my old eyes don’t like the smaller screen. It’s true when all you are after is a larger screen the Framework 16 is expensive. However, for a gaming computer it is a good price. The reviews seem to indicate that the Framework 16 is better for multimedia which does interest me.

Note: Framework sold out 6 batches of Framework 16 preorders in less than 24 hours from their launching preorders.

In the past I got good new computers on clearance for a low price because they couldn’t be upgraded. However, I got burned by Windows 11 because of a 7th gen i7 although I have TPM 2.0 and 16GB ram. I could install Windows 11 with a hack that cannot upgrade only new install. I don’t want to rebuild my software on a six-year-old computer and not sure such an install would demand a new license. Thus, I put in a Framework preorder.

Framework is having to decide what the best models are to come out with first. These designs show the change in computers. The DVD drive is long gone. Now the 2.5" drive bay is gone. Yet these computers have far more performance and drive space than previous modes, especially with what you can do with DIY models.

Kyle_Reis’s comments noted, and corrections made. Thank you for noting mistakes.

2 Likes

There is no 7740.

The Framework 13 offers the 7840u and 7640u.

The Framework 16 offers the 7940hs and 7840hs.

I wouldn’t say that the 7840hs is better than the 7840u. They are the same class of CPU, just the 7840hs is optimized to run at higher power (35-54w cTDP) while the 7840u is optimized to run at lower power (15-30w cTDP).

2 Likes

no doubt, but I’ll be waiting for a price drop or an upgraded version since actually just buying a 7600 and plugging it in to an old PSU would yield similar performance

2 Likes

It’s too expensive to move from Lithuania to Germany or similar just to buy a laptop. I’ll wait until they’ll drop the price too.

In addition, that 140w is not the 28V/5A as in PD 3.1 spec, but a proprietary 20V/7A implementation which requires a power brick specifically from Lenovo that hasn’t been released in US yet. Using 140W PD 3.1 power bricks will only get 100W.

3 Likes

My dell 130 Watt USBC chargers are rated at 20V1a-6.5a so should work fine esp being with the config i ordered won’t have the GPU. but will be ordering a framework acadapter to be safe.
also hoping my WD19 will work as expected but i don’t really dock all that much with my personal laptop so def not a deal breaker…

for what its worth
I will be replacing a xps 9520 (Yes its fairly new, yes i have 2 potential buyers lined up already) with the FW 16 R7 DIY have a 2TB SSD and 64 GB DDR5 4800 but depending on price at time of shipment may get the 64GB kit from FW or Maybee the 96GB kit from crucial.

The reason for the high cost of the laptop is likely attributed to its extensive modularity, specifically the modular keyboard and the unique form factor. Unlike traditional laptops that benefit from pre-existing tooling and established designs, this innovative concept required significant investment in research, development, and engineering expertise to bring it to life.

Creating a modular laptop with such versatility involved substantial expenses in designing, manufacturing, setting up production lines, and training the workforce to handle the complexities of the assembly process. Additionally, rigorous testing was essential to ensure the various modules work seamlessly together, which further added to the overall cost.

Despite the financial risks, the company decided to prioritize features and user experience over cost-effectiveness. They wanted to offer a cutting-edge product that empowers users to customize their laptops based on their specific needs. The modular design allows for a wide array of configurations, making it a unique and powerful solution for different use cases.

In retrospect, some might argue for a less modular approach to reduce costs, such as offering fewer modules or eliminating the modular keyboard. However, the company’s decision to prioritize features and maintain the full modularity likely resulted in a product that sets a new standard for flexibility and performance in the laptop market.

5 Likes

The Framework 16 is “expensive” for the same reason a $12 burger at a good restaurant is expensive compared to McDonald’s.

All things considered, it’s actually pretty aggressively priced. They’re not getting rich off this product launch.

8 Likes

Framework likely gets most of their margin from replacement parts and the modules. Sell the chassis as cheap as possible to get people into the ecosystem, then keep them in the ecosystem. That’s why it’s ingenious to allow people to repurpose old mainboards because you can later re-use them as server “blades” or as NUC-alikes that can still use the modules.

1 Like

A delicious burger from a butchers is cheaper than McDonald’s.

And a bare CPU is cheaper than a Dell? Sorry, I don’t understand what analogy you’re trying to make there.

5 Likes