Windows logo on the keyboard

There are ways to disable airplane mode entirely if you are that bothered by the button being there which effectively just turns that button into only an F# key. As for the logo who knows. My guess is they wanted to keep as much from the Framework 13 as possible to simplify things. Maybe their surveys showed people liked the slanted Windows logo. Maybe that is just the style their selected keyboard vendor uses by default. I cannot say I have ever noticed what the windows key on my laptop looked like before this post.

I wish there wasn’t any windows logo at all. Even having the word “super” was a missed opportunity. Too bad. Linux penguin, or framework logo, or any other generic symbol beats the windows logo or a word on that key any day.

5 Likes

I appreciate the inoffensive design System76 uses:

1 Like

I’d love no windows logo on the keyboard.

5 Likes

There is the “International English - Linux” option for the FW16 keyboard.

6 Likes

It’s worth noting this post here that has had significant discussion in the past.

1 Like

these type of nitpicky things will be the death of this company

5 Likes

Is that the GALP5? Looks exactly like mine. That symbol signifies PopOS/Gnome Activity Overview, so not fully neutral (probably won’t make sense for Windows and KDE users). May be confusing to other people.

I think the Windows logo isn’t all that confusing since most users are Windows users and will recognize it as the Start key. For Linux users, we already know it’s the Super key. The Win 11 logo looks more generic than previous logos.

Not sure how Microsoft can copyright 4 squares in straight 90 degree angles, lol. They could have made a case if it was angled like Win 10 (angled in a specific way).

Or do like keyboard makers do an include different key caps (one blank one for ppl to customize) :slight_smile:

If it really bothers me (which it doesn’t), I’ll just put a sticker over it with whatever logo I want on it, lol.

But Windows 11 logo doesn’t bother me much - even though I use Fedora.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah, one can dream:

2 Likes

Yes, it will be. Framework-16 keyboards will run QMK, and in QMK it’s possible to reconfigure keys to do almost anything you can imagine.

It’s not about whether you can remember what the key does.
It’s about who’s in control.

1 Like

If that is the case, you have control to find a solution. As someone said, requests like these probably isn’t feasible for a small company like Framework yet. Perhaps whatever company that makes these keyboards are willing to sell custom key caps themselves (and they feel there’s a market and is profitable).

My other worry is that if Framework ever become big enough to offer way more choices (Oculink expansion bay, and other expansion bays people ask for, AMD, Intel, nVidia, different screens, trackpads, keyboards, key caps, etc), a) that negates t he community and other 3rd party market, and b) they will become a completely different company than today (eg: may become a big Dell/HP like corporation)…

2 Likes

What I don’t get is why they don’t just drop the OS-specific designs and make it a Framework logo

3 Likes

I completely agree here.

1 Like

As always, experiences vary - I make heavy use of this to save battery when travelling.

1 Like

To my understanding its in rhe OEM agreement for windows, if it ships with windows it needs the windows key.

5 Likes

I would be fine with the modern win 11 key, although I would hope to have Tux logo or “super”

Will QMK available on the Framework-13 ??