11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

I updated the top post to indicate that we have moved the 3.19 EFI updater to beta.

8 Likes

Any chance of getting the fix to re-enable the wifi 6 bands with the ax210 on 11th gen intel into the upcoming release?

3 Likes

Seriously. The 11th gen has been such a dud. No 6E bands, CMOS battery drain and—on my device, at least—an infuriatingly finicky trackpad. Would be nice to check at least one issue off that list.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that at all, although I can understand if you feel that way. Both of mine have been stellar. For my use case, the CMOS battery drain was something that I easily was able to work around until I replaced the battery with the IC module. The trackpad has been solid on mine across several linux distros and occasional windows. The hinges on one were softer than I liked, so I replaced them with the 4kg ones which have been great. The other one is still on the original hinges. When I do finally upgrade the mainboard I will put the other one in a case and repurpose it as some sort of server.

It does have the 6ghz bands on windows, or if you swap out the intel card for the mediatek one.

I wish that yours had been better for you, but I have been very happy with mine.

1 Like

sorry for barging in, but are there more details about this? The community forum search is not forthcoming…

Barge away! On the 11th gen intel boards, the rechargeable RTC/CMOS battery only charges when the computer is plugged in. If it runs down enough times it no longer will take a charge, and the computer will need to be plugged in in order to boot, even if the main battery has a charge. In some cases the board can get into a state that requires a mainboard reset to resolve. For me, it was easy enough to set a charging limit and simply leave the machines plugged in at all times, therefore keeping the battery charged. I eventually replaced the RTC battery in each of the machines with the IC moduje that Framework offered - it did require soldering one wire to the main board.

More details here: RTC Battery Substitution on 11th Gen Intel® Core™ - Framework Guides and here: Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

4 Likes

Y’all are champs, appreciate all the work you have done to overhaul your firmware support process :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t seem to get BIOS 3.19 to install. I booted from the USB and startup.nsh executed. I got a progress indicator that went to 100%, then it said on the next reboot the new BIOS would install. I’ve rebooted a few times and I’m still on 3.07! The USB no longer shows up in the boot menu (in BIOS, F12). I have 493 MB free in my EFI partition, so I don’t think it’s that. What can I try?

I do have a battery installed, but it’s the original battery and is no longer in great shape.

I also booted from a USB stick, waited through messages that indicated startup.nsh running, then an automatic reboot. But sudo dmidecode -s bios-version still reports version 3.06.

Further information on the BIOS below. I find in my notes that I disabled “Enforce Secure Boot,” which appeared to be required to install Ubuntu Studio in December 2021. That seems unlikely to be relevant, but it doesn’t show up in the dmidecode output below.

$ sudo dmidecode --type bios
[sudo] password for odonnell:

dmidecode 3.5

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.3.0 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 26 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
Version: 03.06
Release Date: 10/18/2021
Address: 0xE0000
Runtime Size: 128 kB
ROM Size: 12 MB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 3.6

Handle 0x0011, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
BIOS Language Information
Language Description Format: Long
Installable Languages: 4
en|US|iso8859-1,0
fr|FR|iso8859-1,0
zh|TW|unicode,0
ja|JP|unicode,0
Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1,0

I, and presumably Peter_Conrad as well, are following the new instructions for updating the BIOS to version 3.19 found at https://knowledgebase.frame.work/framework-laptop-bios-releases-S1dMQt6F#Linux_BIOS

Just updated: May 28 2024 6:19pm

1 Like

It seems I have the same issue.

I put in the thumbdrive, it loaded completely, did it’s thing with the autorun script, rebooted – back into my old Grub with the same entries and an unchanged BIOS. Several reboots later there’s still no applied BIOS update.

I tried disabling the charge limit, so the BIOS sees that it is actively charging the internal battery, but the BIOS update still wasn’t applied.

@Michael_O_Donnell Does your last sentence mean, that your BIOS updated to the latest version after some reboots?

I had similar problems with the beta release. The update completed successfully after I completely reformatted my USB drive, re-extracted the update files, and then booted off it again. (I hadn’t fully formatted the USB drive before my first try, and so I’d assumed this was my fault for not doing that.)

1 Like

No. After several reboots, I still see version 3.06.

I noticed that you mentioned the battery “actively charging.” I see that the LVFS instructions for update to 3.17 mention that there may be no update when the battery is completely charged. I can’t find any such mention for UEFI boot updating to 3.19: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)

I generally keep my laptop plugged in, and the battery topped off, so, if that can interfere with the UEFI boot update to 3.19, that could be my problem. Later today I will try running the battery down a bit.

(May 29, 15:15 MDT) I ran the battery down to 72%, plugged in, verified that it was charging, rebooted without the USB stick. The boot looked normal, no indication of any sort of update, dmidecode reports that I still have version 3.6 or 3.06 (I noticed that two different reports formatted the version number differently, but I think they refer to the same version).

My update left me at version 3.06 although I used a USB stick freshly formatted to fat32. If the warning that the battery must be actively charging, mentioned for LVFS update to 3.17 but not for UEFI boot update to 3.19, is still relevant, then perhaps on your later try you had a lower battery status.

I hope that someone from Framework will write soon to clarify whether battery status is important.

Very similar problem to what Michael O. is reporting.

My 11th gen is on BIOS 3.07 running Ubuntu. Followed the directions to update to 3.19 via USB stick, the UEFI updater went through the update process and then rebooted.

The BIOS screen and running dmidecode in Ubuntu both show I’m still on 3.07. When I try to run the updater again from the USB stick for 3.19, it tells me it can’t update to the same version it’s already on.

Is there something simple I’m missing here?

2 Likes

Linux
I tried to do the update from 3.17 to 3.19. This didn’t work the first time. Running the second time didn’t work as it said the versions matched but reports like dmidecode disagreed.

The bios update did generate a error log. This tells us that you can force the update by adding a flag.

Add -allowsv to <usb drive>/efi/boot/startup.nsh in line fwupdlcl.efi -F fwupdate.bin -y

So:

fwupdlcl.efi -F fwupdate.bin -y -allowsv

This will bypass the version equivalence check.

This worked for me, the installation with this extra flag succeeded. After I started the upgrade a reboot happend with the message that they are updating the firmware, after which a nice green progress bar appeared.

At the end it rebooted into the os and now dmidecode reports 3.19

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to get the update to re-run with fwupdlcl.efi -F fwupdate.bin -y -allowsv.

However, I still got an error on CapsuleApp.efi winux.bin firmware_hdr.cap -OD with error cannot find a valid file system on boot devices. Status = Not Found.

1 Like

That sounds good, BUT. I wonder about the “CSME” update. Presumably, fwupdlcl.efi runs while the system is up, which sounds similar to the LVFS update. Warning from the instructions:

Blockquote There will not be an LVFS update for this specific release because it has an Intel CSME update, which can’t be delivered through LVFS. Use the UEFI Shell update method instead for this release.

So, I worry that the main BIOS is updated, but not the CSME, which perhaps can only be updated during a boot.

Later today, I will try running the battery down and then rebooting while it is charging. That should illuminate things, but it will take time.

My initial upgrade from 3.17 to 3.19 was done at 24% battery while not charging. When doing my second try with the extra flag, I was charging.

It seemed to me that everything was done pre-GRUB and as such was happening in the UEFI environment.

I didn’t have any new logs on my usb disk or messages like George_Coss

Trying with the -allowsv option, I am in the same situation as George. The FW update completes, but then the UEFI loader stops with the CapsuleApp errors. Rebooting and I am still on the previous version (3.07).

Also, I thought maybe I could get from 3.07 to 3.17, but the LVFS update procedures tell me there are no updates available.