11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

I would absolutely test this beta update, but (being a Linux-only user) I can’t until a UEFI shell update package is released.

1 Like

Updated from 3.17 I believe

Ran into issues with EFI getting mucked up, noted above - ventoy + live usb + reinstall refind + run update-grub and back to normal

No bugs experienced as far as I can tell.

1 Like

This reflects my own testing as well. I will be marking this as good to go unless someone finds something else that looks like a bug.

2 Likes

Issues: nothing substantial, the update just wiped my EFI settings like it has for every update thus far. Quick tweaks and swap of the boot device order (I use GRUB, so wasn’t affected by the rEFInd issues) and I was good to go.

Bugs: nothing to report. 61Wh battery is working as advertised, I definitely feel the difference!

1 Like

And we’re out of Beta, this is now an official release - 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release:

8 Likes

BIOS guide still has to be updated to link to the new BIOS release.

Please update this post when it is released as usb image so that users who can’t update now find out about it.

Aside: I do think that releasing the BIOS for Windows only and declaring it stable is a little unfortunate. It sends the message (incorrectly, I assume) that other OSs don’t matter.

1 Like

This is not an official guide and we did not create it. So editing this guide isn’t going to happen.

The link to the official knowledgebase.frame.work article is however, correct.

Releasing it for Windows only was due to timing while we get the UEFI option ready and remain on schedule.

Once the UEFI option is ready, it will be added to the knowledgebase.frame.work article.

2 Likes

AFAICT you cannot get any notifications on the knowledgebase article. How can I opt-in to get notifications on when a new BIOS comes out?

It’s unfortunate that the LVFS checking for me is not possible this time. AFAIR Lenovo was shipping an CSME update via LVFS, so can you elaborate on why fwupd cannot update it? Is there a github issue I can follow so in the (distant?) future these updates can also be done using fwupd?

1 Like

Thanks for continuing to support us 11th gen plebs! :grinning:

As an aside- would it be possible for the release dates of each BIOS to be posted in that knowledgebase article?

2 Likes
  • Updating from which previous BIOS release? 3.17
  • How did the update go, any issues experienced? No
  • Any bugs experienced: Random disconnects on an HDMI connected display since the upgrade, only over HDMI, Displayport not affected, connected with a lenovo thunderbolt 3 docking station. HDMI card is not used, laptop is equipped with 2x usb-c and 2x usb-a cards.
1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. So long as this is not affecting products we control (expansion cards), this will be added into the feedback, but we may not be able to drill down too hard on this quickly.

This specific dock has a colorful history in the forums. I will however, make sure we note the behavior as a bug with this dock.

Myself, so long as I use our expansion card for charging, has had great luck with anything Anker related for USB A/C handling. I use expansion cards for HDMI and DP as we can control that behavior.

Any update on a UEFI shell updater tool for us Linux folk?

7 Likes

A couple of friendly reminders:

The “I lost my boot options” is easily mitigated by having a valid .efi stub in the fallback location.

In my case it’s $ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, or literally /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI . I just copied my normal rEFInd install .efi to that location. Then, on the first boot after the BIOS update obliterates the boot options, I use the “fallback rEFInd” (that doesn’t have my custom options associated with it) to chain load the real rEFInd location, and into my main partition I boot. Reinstall rEFInd over itself in my OS (just to restore the BIOS boot options memory), then I’m all back to normal. No separate boot device needed.

Also, the Mediatek powered RZ608 (mt7921k) and RZ616 (mt7922) are not affected by Intel’s garbage LAR bugs. 6ghz is available (marked no IR in iw list but usable) for me on my RZ608 using in kernel tree modules + linux-firmware package on arch. See GitHub - morrownr/USB-WiFi: USB WiFi Adapter Information for Linux for more details. Agreed that Framework really should fix this regression to an advertised feature that was available at 11th Gen launch. But it’s a ~$20 fix to go to an RZ616 if it’s really eating you up to not have 6ghz on Linux.

6 Likes

I have a bug to report - unless someone tells me it is something else - I just installed 3.19 in my 11 gen i5. Install was effortless on windows - but now when I click any of the shift, ctl, fn, win, or alt keys there would be a beep (not from the speakers but the crappy thing on the mobo that makes post noises. Repeat clicks would do two notes of the same pitch followed by 1 note of a different pitch. And after about 25 total noises the sound has now gone away. Anyone else have this?

I have rebooted and it persists, I can upload a video if that helps. This is a weird one!

Wild guess based on quite dated experiences with Windows: did sticky keys get enabled somehow? I recall that in Win7, pressing shift five times in a row would enable it, you’d get some BIOS beeps of various tones as you pressed modifier keys, and if you pressed shift five more times in a row, it would disable.

Please do that.
Does the same happen in the BIOS?

I updated my Linux-only system with the Ventoy+Win10 installer path, which was successful, but it looks like the Intel CSME did not update (fwupdmgr security warning is still showing the old version).

I was thinking about running it again, but I’m a bit hesitant without some explanation about why it didn’t update first time.

SOLVED Thanks all - the sticky keys was the culprit - I’ve been using windows since Windows 3 and have never turned that on before! Learn something every day…

7 Likes

I installed the update through my hirens usb tool. It updated the EC and the bios version but did not update the intel CSME version like @Jeremy_Fitzhardinge above. I use Arch Linux so the only other option would be to wait for the UEFI shell installer to come out since it won’t be available via lvfs. After update it booted just fine and all ports seem to work just fine as well.

1 Like