15” laptop

It’s really simple - a numpad throws the entire keyboard off-center.

7 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suppose for those that use a lot of numbers, the ‘common’ keyboard being off centre is acceptable

1 Like

For me, for numeric data entry, like when logging a month’s worth of Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose readings, a numeric keypad is way more efficient than using the top row of a keyboard. So, out comes the Logitech full size wireless.

4 Likes

I have said/proposed earlier not to have keyboard discussions as the keyboard/palmrest is easily replaceable/customizable. Framework can simply make 2 versions of the 15 inch palmrest, one using 60% keyboard and the other using the 95% (98 key or something) keyboard.
Anyhow. Vote.

• Nay Numpad – What is Numlock
  • Yay Numpad – I punch numbers

0 voters

Speaking of numlock. Please add an indicator LED to show the state (of numlock). otherwise it is going to induce so many confusion & chaos,.

4 Likes

Yes, it is. The screen size is very important in laptops. The bigger screen allows you to watch movies, play games and browse social media sites. The bigger the screen size, the better the resolution. The 15-inch laptop screen has a resolution of 1920*1080. It is one of the best resolutions for laptops.

Hi John and welcome to the forum

Your post raises a few points

Well the screen size doesn’t effect that, people do that with their mobile phones. The advantage may be that you can keep the screen further away, so that was an odd statement.

Screen size is not related to resolution. My 27" monitor has 1920 x 1080 and the framework is a quarter of that at 13.5" yet 2256 x 1504 so the resolution on the Framework is massively ‘better’

So given what I have just written, unless you have a very old laptop with very low resolution, then your assessment won’t stand up to experience, let alone logic. :curly_loop:

6 Likes

I agree. Either a 15" or a 16" model would be really nice for some extra screen real state. I could see them doing a 16" model just to line up with Apple’s offerings.

A 13" Laptop is suitable as a portable device but for daily usage 15" is more desirable. Also, are there any plans to launch AMD Ryzen 6000 series motherboard???
I would love to see a Framework laptop with the following specs:

1. 15"OLED Bazel less display.
  2. AMD Ryzen 6900HX/6950HX Processor.
  3. Keyboard without Numpad.
  4. USB4 support
  5. DDR5 RAM
  6. HDR WebCam.
4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As this is primarily a user forum you would be better off contacting Framework for a ‘real’ answer.

Personally I’d be happy with them plunking the 13" mainboard into a 15" case, and being all the same just with larger display. Trackpad, keyboard, etc are all good, 4 modular IO expansions is fine.

1 Like

Add a larger heatsink, too.

The board is able to boost the processor to 64W (power-wise. i.e. It’s able to supply well to the processor.)…the only thing that seems to be holding it back is cooling. If a large enough heatsink & fan can be added, I guess the board can actually do 64W sustain. (Similar to what MSI is able to do with the Stealth 15M)

And it could align well with future H / HX processor support. The dies on those are bigger, but if the heatsink can be engineered with a backward-mainboard compatible mounting mechanism, then this hypothetical larger heatsink could fit on to both types of boards / processors. in the larger chassis.

(The cutout / footprint of the fan area is fixed on the current boards…so we’re likely looking at ‘larger’ as in z-height, and maybe wider in the height areas taller than the board thickness.)

1 Like

Well, the thermal is technically independent of the main board. A beefier fan and a taller heatsink for the 15 inch is not too unrealistic of a goal. The problem however is the power delivery (and other whatsnot)

IF the board is able to supply the power just fine, then that’s good. But from what I heard the Framework cannot obtain/maintain the max boost clock on the 1260p (and 1280)?
There are also some other comfort items. WWAN, for example. Additional SSD slot, perhaps. Bigger battery, etc.

That’s due to cooling, not due to insufficient power…I believe. The CPU is hitting 100c…and thermal throttles.

On the 11th gen, I’m able to hit 63.5w under boost…plenty of juice…

That’s why I’m not seeing that as a power delivery issue.

1 Like

Also agree 15" version would be preferred. Numpad specifically for Blender!

1 Like

It’s a laptop, they’re basically all designed to hit 100℃, or they’re putting more cooling (weight) in than needed.

1 Like

Framework can pull 28W sustained (cooling), which is not bad.

The new XPS 13, by compromising everything (function row, soldered SSD, bad battery life) can pull off 30W, but to say it can turbo at 55W is more than just a stretch.

Which is why a 15 inch with more space for thermal solution can fare better!

2 Likes

Hi I am really excited about the product that is present within the framework laptop. However I really don’t think that 13.5 inches isn’t enough space for me to do my work properly. This is because normally when I code I like to split the screen so I can search the internet for programs and when I have problems. I feel that a 15+ inch laptop would really make this product more attractive and would make me want to buy it. Thank you for your time

1 Like

Please search the forum before posting a new topic as this a repeat request

https://community.frame.work/search?q=15%20laptop

as shown

15” laptop

https://community.frame.work/t/can-we-have-a-15-inch-laptop/27868

1 Like

So the answer is yes :slightly_smiling_face:
Looking forward to see more details of the Framework 16.

1 Like

YEAH!!! They have a 16’’ coming! The sweet spot that is compatible with the 15’’ lovers and acceptable for the 17’’ lovers! Beautiful!!!

3 Likes