256GB Expansion card not recognised

Hello, I’m getting ready to install Linux on an expansion card but the card isn’t detexted as a drive on which to install the OS. And when I check out the expansion card’s properties, it shows a total capacity of 3.87MB (my expansion card is actually 250GB). Does anyone know why that is?

Hi I’ve edited the title as it was vague :slight_smile: and you’ve given no detail of your setup.
Laptop | OS | etc. | How you formatted the 256

Have you already tried to load a Linux OS, which one ? How ?

I have a 256 Expansion card too and did likewise.

So if you have Windows use the Disk Management to see and reformat the whole 256GB

Here’s a link to my effort with Win 10 a couple of years ago on an 1165G7

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/ubuntu.php

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve done this so I may be wrong, but it could be the way you formatted it. It may not like FAT.

It might be better to do this using a dedicated installer like Rufus or Etcher. I think you can enable persistence with these, which will turn the live USB into one in which you can save files and install programs.

I’ll delete this if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Thank you @amoun and @Fraoch

Weirdly, this is what I’m seeing when I look at Disk Management:

It looks like the Expansion Card is partitioned into a 4MB partition and the rest is separated (Disk 1 partition 2). Does it mean I should delete that second one?

I wonder why you have those partitions.

You also don’t show which format.

You can delate all and maybe create 2 partitions 1 for Linux, maybe ext4 and 1 for personal data or /Home as (Fat32 or NTFS)

It’s only seeing the smallest partition. Strange!

I’d blow it all away and let Rufus handle formatting the entire drive.

3 Likes