92% Battery Capacity In less then a month?

Hello everyone,
I purchased and received my Framework 13 Intel 1340P DIY Edition laptop about 3 weeks ago and I noticed that the battery percentage will not go past 99% as of today. Using upower, I looked up info on the battery and I noticed that the capacity is at 92%… I’m confused as of why.

To give more info, I ordered the laptop without memory, ssd or power adapter. 4x USB-C expansion cards. Separately, I purchased 32GB (16GBx2) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 RAM and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB. Most of the time it is plugged into two 27 inch Gigabyte monitors via USB-C. It’s rarely plugged into the power adapter because the laptop charges via the USB-C. When the laptop is not in use, its in suspend mode. The only OS I am running on it is Debian 12.

Please see the attachment below. If anyone has happened to see this problem or know as to why its happening, please let me know.

EDIT: The below info was taken while plugged into the both monitors via USB-C. Also, everything with the laptop has been great. It’s performing great and I’ve had zero issues.

That number is only a rough estimation of the wear that all li-ions undergo, and it can be very inaccurate. Did you do calibration before getting that number? It can be far off without calibration first.

If you wish to reduce wear, you can use the charge limit option available in the BIOS. And also try not to let the battery get near empty often. Both the high-end and the low-end cause more wear on cells. It’s the way all li-ions are.

If your laptop spends most of its time plugged in, then you should definitely consider using the limit charge function. Extended time spent at full charge causes more wear.

BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

2 Likes

Thanks for the response!

I’ll look up how to limit the charge to 80% in bios right and set that up. I didn’t know that was possible :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve never calibrated the battery, how do I do that?

Battery Calibration - iFixit Support

Check your system settings to see that it isn’t set to shut down before totally empty. It might be something like “When battery is critically low” > do this. For calibration, it should be set to do nothing.

Oh, I failed to notice that was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

1. That number is a rough estimate.

2. It is pretty common for brand new batteries to degrade rapidly (to ~90-95% capacity) within the first ~50 cycles and then the degradation slows down significantly and still retains ~80% capacity even at ~1000 cycles.

Just a data point.

My reported battery health fluctuates between 99% and 96% after a month of use. So yeah YMMV and it’s expected.

For reference my Outlander PHEV battery pack rolled off the yard showing 91% State of Health and shortly thereafter was showing 86% - and hasn’t changed much in the 5 years I’ve had it. (still shows around 84-86% .