Ambient Light Sensor/Auto Brightness Time Threshold

This is not a redundant thread, as the “auto-brightness” aka ambient light sensor in Linux? Details? thread is about making the sensor work, while this one is about sensitivity.

I run Ubuntu (on the latest release, though it also applies to 22.04) and the ambient light sensor works fine. The problem is that it is so sensitive that I have turned off auto-brightness. If I’m using the laptop with a lamp behind me in a dim room (this is often the case), small position changes in the machine like picking it up or shifting angles will cause the brightness to flap around wildly. It seems like automatic brightness responds in real time to the output from the sensor, which makes for a jerky and distracting auto-brightness experience.

Is there any way to tune auto-brightness to behave differently? Can I configure it to respond to, say, the past two seconds’ average ambient light reading instead of reacting in real time?

1 Like

So if this is about response time not sensitivity you could change the title to reflect that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, any luck to make ambient light sensor work in Arch Linux yet?

I don’t use Arch, so I haven’t had to worry about it. The thread I mentioned in the top post goes into that, so I would start there.

The ambient light sensor works as a charm now, explained how on that thread of the top. Cheers

Did you ever solve this? I find exactly the same behaviour on Fedora.