Version: 03.03
	Release Date: 10/17/2023
	Address: 0xE0000
       product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon  780M Graphics
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 4
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 25.116.1

The computer seems to grind to a halt eventually during use. It also frequently happens after “resume from suspend”. The input lag gets severe and I have to reboot. This did not happen for the first few weeks I had this. I assume something isn’t playing well with kernel updates. Before anyone says the words “oem kernel”, unless you know where to get that on arch-based systems, it’s not going to be helpful. I will not use Ubuntu or Fedora. Has anyone had similar experiences? How does one fix this?

On the bright side, I found the solution to the annoying white screen issue here, so I have some hope.

You should upgrade to BIOS 03.05 to properly fix the white screen issue instead of the workarounds.

For a big system lag check and see what speed each CPU is operating at from /proc/cpuinfo. Also check something like top or btop to see if there is a runaway process. If it’s an interrupt handler check and see what GPE it is.

Also note whether you undocked or unplugged power during suspend or plugged in during suspend. The important part is to find the pattern.

I don’t know if you intended for this to fix the slow down issue as well, but I have not encountered the slow down issue since.

Also, since you suggested that BIOS 03.05 would properly fix the white screen issue, does that mean I can remove “amdgpu.sg_display=0” from the kernel parameters of my grub config file? That was the original solution I found here and if it’s no longer needed after updating the BIOS, then I would like to know.

Thanks!

It was always plugged in.

Each CPU was either 400 or 1400MHz. If the issue reoccurs, I will report back. I am certain there was no runaway process unless just running a browser after boot would somehow lead to that.

Yes you can drop that parameter.