Any plans for Custom/Split keyboard layouts?

Hi, interested in Framework and the future they bring to consumer electronics.

As the title asks, are there any plans or concrete information about the possibility of bringing keyboard modules with a more custom layout than what is currently offered?

By this I am talking about layouts with keys at the thumb, split for ergonomics and more customization options. It is something that I think sorely is lacking in the laptop formfactor, and pushing it to an external device kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop. It would definitely be a killer-app feature for some, myself included.

I understand the difficulty and niche of this issue, and looking at the community posts related to keyboard it seems that much is still needed to just get the base-system up to scratch with the competition. I just figured that it would be nice to get any information regarding this.

Best regards,
H

6 Likes

That is actually a good idea. One could also place the numpad in the middle section!

4 Likes

Yeah that was partly something it could be used for, I’d personally want macro keys that can be used to record/replay macros, almost like a hardware clipboard.

1 Like

Yeah, I would love this. An ergonomic keyboard layout with a macropad in the middle would be super cool, but I do wonder if that’d be possible since the ergonomic layout would probably take up more space due to how they’re usually shaped. With the limited space of the laptop, it would at the very least probably have to sacrifice the space that could be allocated to the macropad.

3 Likes

I also want this, and have the same concerns. Just only, instead of a macropad, i would want a (touch) screen to show statuses, alerta and notifications. The programable keys for macros could also do the job if they could have minidisplays, so i could put icons and badges on the keys.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re asking for a mini stream deck kind of thing. That would be super cool and I would take that over a macropad any day.

2 Likes

There would not be so much space to consider it as a mini Steam Deck, but yeah, it’s a way to see it :slight_smile: The main problem is keyboard layout, since the keys split is usually in diagonal.

My main point is about I HATE the expanded keyboards with keypad when having a laptop with a huge screen, that in a laptop force you to write sideways (specially if the laptop is in your lap :slight_smile: ). So a splitted keyboard would allow to have a more natural position, and being screen and keyboard aligned and centered with both your eyes and hands. And if we can make use of the blank space in the middle between both half keyboards to have some extra screen space, it is welcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just realized some people are already working on trying to make an ergonomic layout DIY Staggered Columnar Laptop Keyboard (Semi Ortholinear) [Prototype]

5 Likes

I have never designed a keyboard but I did think of split keyboard as two modules, so that they can be placed on both sides, with the numpad or macro key in the center. But in the same vain, I had thought about said split keyboard having some form of tenting.

1 Like

Two modules is the obvious way to do it, but unluckily Framework 16 laptop don’t have the needed connectors in place to connect the right half :frowning: At least in a truly reusable / re-layoutable way…

1 Like

What do you mean? Do you think having the connectors on the outter edges is a bad idea?

1 Like

The midplate has a total of 8 connectors, 5 of which are USB for keyboard, numpad and spacers. Those are the three to the left and two to the right. The other group of three in the middle is for connecting the trackpad and has I2C instead. If all 5 of these USB connectors can be used concurrently, installing some split keyboard should pose no problem, should it?

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed description :slight_smile: It was about it’s not possible to put the keyboard and spacers in all the connectors, so sure you can have a split keyboard but can’t use the middle connectors to put a spacer, since it’s I2C and not USB, nor you can swap the split keyboards (in case you want) since there’s no connectors in the correct place.

For full flexibility, I would have put USB connectors in the full row, both on keyboard and touchpad rows, allowing to put keyboard, numpad, spacers and touchpads however I want, for example a full row of spacers and no keyboard at all, or put the keyboard in the front row and second screen in the upper row, or a regular keyboard in the upper row and a piano keyboard in the lower one instead of a trackpad. Definitely that would have increased costs, at least for the materials of the connectors, but not doing it that way was shortsighned.

1 Like

I found the Input Module Github, and can confirm it’s USB.

Input Modules are hot-swappable USB 2.0-interfaced devices that enable deep customization of the input system on the Framework Laptop 16.

If I remember correcctly, they used RPi2040s as the microcontroller, and but I can confirm they use QMK Firmware.

So now with this sauce, I believe that the big limitation is still module placement… :thinking: I personally still think half a keyboard could work, with the numpad at the center, but I also assume this might move the touchpad to the center to be at the right of the modules as well?

Hi,

It’s certainly an interesting concept for a laptop.
I think to make this feasible one would need to also do a custom midplate.
One could then design to put the connectors wherever one wished them.

1 Like

It really makes me wonder if we could do more than one keyboard design…

Update~! If you haven’t heard yet, Framework has open sourced (or source-available) the a lot of the FW16 parts. Including main board, and CAD designs.

I think this could be used in conjunction with the InputModules repo to redesign a midplate if we really need to.

1 Like