Any plans for Custom/Split keyboard layouts?

Hi, interested in Framework and the future they bring to consumer electronics.

As the title asks, are there any plans or concrete information about the possibility of bringing keyboard modules with a more custom layout than what is currently offered?

By this I am talking about layouts with keys at the thumb, split for ergonomics and more customization options. It is something that I think sorely is lacking in the laptop formfactor, and pushing it to an external device kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop. It would definitely be a killer-app feature for some, myself included.

I understand the difficulty and niche of this issue, and looking at the community posts related to keyboard it seems that much is still needed to just get the base-system up to scratch with the competition. I just figured that it would be nice to get any information regarding this.

Best regards,
H

2 Likes

That is actually a good idea. One could also place the numpad in the middle section!

Yeah that was partly something it could be used for, I’d personally want macro keys that can be used to record/replay macros, almost like a hardware clipboard.

Yeah, I would love this. An ergonomic keyboard layout with a macropad in the middle would be super cool, but I do wonder if that’d be possible since the ergonomic layout would probably take up more space due to how they’re usually shaped. With the limited space of the laptop, it would at the very least probably have to sacrifice the space that could be allocated to the macropad.

1 Like