Apple Studio Display: Any experiences?

Anybody on here’s who’s tried to hook up one or two Apple Studio Displays to the 13-inch?

Can it work at 5K?

So far I only understand that Apple doesn’t do MST at all, hence the question on multiple screens.

1 Like

Daisy chaining them, even with MST is a stretch, two cables may work. But I don’t have one yet to test.

1 Like

The 13 inch is able to drive both displays, but your experience with both hooked up while doing anything resource intensive may vary. I’m currently running a 13inch MBP thats reasonably specced from 2020 and it can chug sometimes with 2 of the 5k LG displays plugged in especially while doing renders or scrubbing high def footage in video edits. Using 1 external display and the internal one gives me a far smoother experience regardless of what I’m doing.

EDIT: I am using two seperate ports just to clarify and Apple Support explained that they do not officially support driving two monitors of that size, only the one.

2 Likes

Well I don’t have two to test but I have one. It seems to be working pretty well. And yeah it handles 5k. I’m using Fedora 38. It detected 2 displays for some reason but I disabled the mystery one and works fine. So yeah if you wanna use it with a Studio Display it will definitely work. It also charges it

Don’t mind the radios this is my dad’s desk lol

2 Likes

Cool desk you have there @ThatOneGuy :slight_smile:
btw, no noticeable uptick in resource usage when displaying in 5k?

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t really check that to be honest. It didn’t seem like it was struggling at all with it. I didn’t have it plugged in for very long. Based off my short testing though I think it will be fine

1 Like

Do the peripherals work?
Webcam, speakers and mic?

I’m back to report that the experience is flawless! Everything works with the Framework AMD 13!

I am using bluefin without any rpm-ostree changes.

• USB-C video out
  • USB-C hub
  • Webcam
  • Mic
  • Speakers

One thing that I could not change however (but I haven’t poked around yet) is the brightness controls.

1 Like

Came to say that I also have an Apple Studio Display and it works well (I’m using Fedora 40 with SwayWM). As others have mentioned, for whatever reason, the display appears as two outputs under Sway, so I have to disable one (also worth noting that, at least for me, only one of the outputs actually works, so you have to disable the “right one”). Here is the output of swaymsg -t get_outputs (with some lines omitted for brevity):

Output DP-7 'Apple Computer Inc StudioDisplay 0x...' (focused)
  Current mode: 5120x2880 @ 60.000 Hz
  Power: on
  Position: 0,0
  Scale factor: 2.000000
  Scale filter: nearest
  Subpixel hinting: unknown
  Transform: normal
  Workspace: 4
  Max render time: off
  Adaptive sync: disabled
  Available modes:
    5120x2880 @ 60.000 Hz

Output eDP-1 'BOE 0x0BCA Unknown'
  Current mode: 2256x1504 @ 59.999 Hz
  Power: on
  Position: 2560,0
  Scale factor: 1.500000
  Scale filter: linear
  Subpixel hinting: unknown
  Transform: normal
  Workspace: 1
  Max render time: off
  Adaptive sync: disabled
  Available modes:
    2256x1504 @ 59.999 Hz

Output DP-8 'Apple Computer Inc StudioDisplay 0x...' (disabled)
  Available modes:
    2560x2880 @ 60.000 Hz

Resource usage is a bit higher, but at least in my experience not an issue. Let me know if there is something specific you want me to measure.

Anyone know why there could be two outputs instead of one?

Compatibility probably, displayport 1.2 doesn’t have enough bandwidth for 5k 60 and tb3 is by spec limited to 1.2 even if some later tb3 implementations had 1.4 anyway. Tb3 itself has more than enough bandwidth and conveniently comes with 2 dp 1.2 channels.

On the pc side there were displays that needed 2 separate dsiplayport cables for similar reasons.

2 Likes