Apple Studio Display - compatibility, issues, etc

Is anybody using Apple Studio Display with Framework Desktop? If so, do you have any issues? Are you using Windows or Linux?

May I gently encourage you to search for this topic? Quite a few threads on using the Studio Display, none with the Framework Desktop directly but given how new the Desktop is, I would encourage you to use the already created threads as a guidepost

I have been searching for this information for some time and have not found any detailed, first-hand experience yet. I have found only one thread for Framework Desktop here (from August), but it was not answered and I was hoping somebody has tested it since and can share some experience.

1 Like

I am using my Framework Desktop with Fedora 43 and a HDMI → USB-C cable successfully at 4K. I am not receiving audio over that connection and of course I can’t change the screen brightness. It works quite well despite those two drawbacks.

I am trying to ditch the HDMI cable go straight via USB4 with a good quality cable but the screen goes black after the initial Fedora boot mode.

I have tried without success. Both with the cable that comes with the Studio Display and a Thunderbolt cable from another screen.

I think my Fedora install was trying to pick an unsupported resolution by default on the Studio Display.

I got around it by connecting a second monitor, and navigating to display settings with accessibility screen reader turned on. Then, I unplugged the second monitor. I was then able to navigate clumsily around while the screen was black, to eventually select a resolution that worked on the Studio Display.

For a long time, I could only get 4K out on the USB4 ports. 5K did work on the DisplayPort ports, via an adapter, but I had no audio. However, I recently got 5K to work over USB4 with audio also working. I am not sure, but I had better luck unplugging the (unused) DisplayPort cable, and using the lower of the two USB4 ports.

1 Like

I am using the Studio Display with mine, and I did run into issues (which are now pretty much resolved).

Unfortunately I didn’t log my journey, but I found Wayland desktops were important. I did get it working perfectly on KDE but not Gnome, and I had to find a utility to manage the volume and brightness control.

What worked: Fedora 42/43 Plasma, Fedora Cosmic, and Bazzite. Gnome didn’t work unless I had an HDMI monitor also plugged in.

3 Likes

What cable are you using on the KDE set up? A thunderbolt (c to c cable) or a c to DisplayPort/hdmi?

An active Thunderbolt 3 cable

KDE seems fine with this, but the issue with Gnome is the login screen runs with separate permissions and you cannot approve the Thunderbolt device for that user.

I haven’t checked if that has been resolved in the last 6 months.

Thanks for responding. I found a blog post from Dhh talking about the Apple Studio Display XDR and that he uses a DisplayPort to usb-c as doing a thunderbolt or otherwise dp alt mode compatible c to c would sometimes make the pc output to apples “dummy” display randomly when plugging in. Source

I would be ecstatic to just plug it in with the same thunderbolt 5 cable that I already use for my MBA as that would also transmit my mouse and keyboard to the computer as well!

I use mentioned WJESOG cable and running Omarchy and I confirm it works (video, audio, brightness/volume control)

1 Like

Does it also pass data from things plugged into the monitor?

I am happy to report that with the help of this tool(on Windows 11) i was able to use the single Thunderbolt 5 cable and have Full (i personally dont need HDR) capability of the Studio Display XDR.

hub ports are working and passing Audio and keyboard and mouse data.

only issue with getting it set up is you need another monitor to actually see what you are doing to install the EDID override with the studio display XDR also plugged in.

I am using a Studio Display XDR from the first batch and had some problems out of the box.

  • I solved them by connecting the display to a Mac. I installed the firmware update via the mac and selected my preferred colour profile and refresh rate with Mac OS.
  • Then i connected the Display to the Framwork Desktop with a DisplayPort to USB-C Cable with DP80 support (Club3D CAC-1559 USB Typ-C auf DisplayPort DP80, 30€).

I also used the display with the Thunderbolt 5 cable from Apple. Everything was working fine at the first try after the firmware update (including the speakers and the webcam). But the connection failed randomly after a few reboots. I had to unplug the display to get it working again.

So i switched back to the Club3D cable.

Maybe relevant.

2 Likes