Are the spacers backlit?

Maybe it’a because I’m no native speaker, but I’m confused by the text next to the spacers.
It says that the don’t add functionality, but it also says " Small-sized Input Module". What’s that supposed to mean?
Also, I’ve found pictures where the spacers look like they are backlit. Are they?
And how does the color-shift “work”? Is it just static technicolor painting/coating, or, again, something backlit?

Sorry for my confusion. I also searched this forum, but didn’t really find an answer.

Welcome to the forum.

Current spacers are not backlit. But that is something that’s possible in the future.
I presume the color-shift is just paint / coating. Framework has not said anything to suggest that it’s anything more than just paint / coating.

That’s just the size.
The “LED matrix” is the only “small-sized” module which is active / has electrical components and does something actively.

The additional price of this color spacers is 18/24€ for EU, vs 12€ for the black one, so they probably aren’t backlit for a few more €.

On this picture we observe a little electronic component on the matrix spacers, not on the color ones.

Another question is the possibility to put this spacers next to the trackpad : are they the same, can we use the matrix spacers there?

No. They will not fit in the trackpad / lower half.

1 Like

I’d love to know this too. From the few video reviews the colours look static enough, but pictures around FW website show you anything from red/orange through to blue/green, so I suggest they must be able to change colour somehow, otherwise you’ll be playing roulette whether or not they match with your system and your taste.

I thought they could be thermal based, but this doesn’t seem right since I’d imagine you’d see handling marks in pictures, and it would probably be less than flattering if you were laying your hands across it for a while.

Ha! Yes, thermal-based was also one of my thoughts :slight_smile:

What I don’t understand: why is everybody just speculating? Aren’t the first batches shipped already? And even, if not - aren’t the Framework people answering in this forum?

Nope. The FW13 AMD started shipping in the last week or so.

FW16 was always likely as late Q4.

Joedetode

7h

I’d love to know this too. From the few video reviews the colours look static enough, but pictures around FW website show you anything from red/orange through to blue/green, so I suggest they must be able to change colour somehow, otherwise you’ll be playing roulette whether or not they match with your system and your taste.

Titanium will do this sort of colour shift when the surface is ‘blackened’ by heating. But of more recent times people have developed techniques using very thin film coating, like you get with a film of oil on water. You can see a similar thing happening when looking obliquely at the track side of a CD or DVD. As the angle changes you see different colours.

I guessing you guys haven’t seen or heard of color shifting paint. Check out some videos to get an idea. I presume it just uses that. Color changes depending on the angle you are viewing it from. Last I recall Framework say is that they are still working to expand the range of colors you’ll see. So we don’t yet know the full range we’ll get.

Framework has said nothing about it being temperature changing color.

This is not something you’d get if you are looking to match other colors.

2 Likes

I had, but vaguely enough that I didn’t put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I am terrible at visualizing things without video.

Perhaps not so much matching with the system (the only thing I could think to match it with is the coloured bezels, /maybe/ RGB keyboard at a stretch?), but matching with your taste. I looked up some colour shift paints, they seemed to mostly only have 1 or 2 main colour components. Would be quite annoying if you got a colour look that you didn’t like, or 2 that didn’t match with eachother.

Hoping we can get some offical details or review showoffs soon. As with all things FW16 - patience is the word of the day.