Are you keeping your Framework laptop?

My 256 memory extension and microSD do not cause any drain when in hibernate. Battery drops 1% overnight.

It’s not the battery that charges quickly it’s the choice of the user.

As I said in another thread, I remember when two hours from a band new laptop was considered good battery life.

Kids today…

3 Likes

It was a pointless unhelpful comment then as well…

This was unhelpful, condescending and inaccurate suggested you read this.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear hibernate works like hibernate should at least. Those cards are still draining additional power reducing your battery runtime so yeah still an issue IMO.

I’m not proactively choosing to charge it at high speed so how is it the user?? If you know of a way to limit charge rate I would be happy to learn about it.

Called historical perspective! It’s important not to forget where we have come from to get to today. :wink:

2 Likes

Sure it is interesting and impressive that technology has come along from those days (and expected!), in 20-30 years the runtimes of today will seem bad again (probably much sooner if ARM takes a hold) but the Framework is in the here and now as am I so historical laptop runtimes are not really relevant in my eyes.

I would say your comment is akin to looking at a new vehicles fuel efficiency and comparing it to a car that is from the 90s, you expect it would be better so to compare them would be pointless right?

Nor, it seems, is having a sense of humour. Not to worry. :thinking: :rofl:

Use a lower powered supply so it cannot draw max amperage.

See

I am currently using a 5V 2.4A max charger, but I image the PD/PPS controller, having no comms with my charger, may only draw 1 Amp. I will test but not for a few days.

1 Like

I figured that was the case. I am using the Framework charger and have no other suitable charger so no choice without buying more hardware and I don’t want to create more e-waste.

1 Like

Remeber part of the argument is not to waste the battery especialy die to the Lithium production and ‘waste’
Buying a 40w charger could still be seen as valuable if it ‘saves’ the battery.

How about a USB C adapter to USB A from the charger to a USB A port. I imagine that should seriously downgrade the charge rate.

The other option is not to charge the battery to such a high voltage which can be done via the BIOS.

You may also find lots of older chargers being dumped

2 Likes

I already limit the battery voltage via BIOS which is good but doesn’t help with heat generation unfortunately.

I don’t think charging from the type A port is supported or did you mean A->C adapter in the brick then into a type-C port in the machine?

My devices are old and only put out a measley 5W or 12W so using them would probably result in more battery wear. When I get a new phone it might be a option though I really rather not have a hard limit on the systems power, I would rather a software option. I realise I don’t currently have any other choice.

A fair point to consider.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

Come on people! Unless I misunderstood something the expeansion cards directly connect to the CPU no USB hub.

What can be done via a ‘new’ expansion cards. I can’t wait to the possibilities as they come to light Gen 11 Gen 12, who really cares

This is the Framework show me an alternative today = none
Tomorrow (like not really tomorrow) maybe but we have it now.

For all those who want to throw thier Frameowrk away, send me a private message I’ll be happy to receive :rofl:

Don’t try and sell something that you consider ‘rubbish’ that’s degrading to you and bad vibes. Send it back or send it on.

4 Likes

Wow, of course I’m keeping mine! Anyone who is doing otherwise clearly didn’t understand what they were buying and doesn’t fit in with the whole objective here. I mean, I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you, but thanks at least for supporting the movement! Please please please don’t “destroy it” like someone up top threatened – at least find a school or a single mother you can donate it to, for the love of god!

10 Likes

Hi @Richard_Lees

Well as an unbeliever they can do what they like with it, but as I said I’d be happy to take it off their hands and as you note there are probably millions if not billions of people that would, but not God. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or millions (if not billions) of gods, depending on who you ask. :wink:

5 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more. Not bashing you at all, but I feel like Frame.work is doing a GREAT job showing us their roadmap, and implementing things the right way - not trying to rush… this year we got open source firmware, new hinges, new CPU options, open marketplace, BIOS upgrades and full transparency.

This machine was never meant to satisfy power-users, and the fact that Frame.work has been so open with the BIOS, firmware and github - that I’m here for the long run.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .
/s

4 Likes

Framework’s mission emphasizes longevity and long term utility. As for the near term, it’s definitely not the most polished or trouble free experience (I’ve had to spend a solid few days to tune everything and still have some issues). But as I look past a few month from now, and given the progress of Framework towards opening up design files, firmware and more, I can only see continued improvements of my existing purchase and ever more control and customization capabilities as time goes on.

Through the above lens, it’s probably the best laptop out there. I’m planning to keep this laptop for a decade (as I did my last laptop). The real advantage of Framework will be realized well before then.

6 Likes

I’m planning to get a new Framework then keep the 1st gen batch 3 as is. The 1st gen could be a collector’s item after many years.

4 Likes

I’m definitely keeping my 1st gen batch 4. Firmware and Linux support have matured to the point where I have no major complaints and I’m optimistic that my minor complaints will get resolved over time as well. I use it every day and it suits my needs just fine.

I’m probably skipping the Alder Lake upgrade, though I do plan to get one of the CNC top covers and maybe the stiffer hinges.

4 Likes

Definitely keeping, won’t be getting any new intel offerings though.

Hinges are currently OK but may end up needing replacement in a few years if they loosen over time. I may possibly do the machined top cover at some point as well.

TBH I never wanted an intel cpu computer at all, and I certainly didn’t need a new laptop, but I felt that the ideals and mission of Framework are worthy of support.

2 Likes