August/Batch2 Delivery thread

Nah, didn’t have that set up. I just noticed on the 24th when I got the tracking number the tracking history began with a “Picked up.” on the 23rd.

1 Like

For those who ordered in may (@AlexS @Heidi_Harper) Shouldn’t you be in batch 1??

Nah, when I ordered on May 17th the i5 version had recently sold out for batch 1. I would have had to have gotten an i7 to have been in batch 1.

Idk dude, I was told batch 2, maybe because I picked the i7, I think I would have been batch 1 if I had picked the i5. I’m more just frustrated that I’m way behind the curve on shipping, when I was clearly at the front of the orders. Being told to wait a couple more days for mine to ship after my card being charged and told 1-2 days both on Friday the 20th is a bit annoying. They did confirm nothing was wrong with my order, so who knows how they’re deciding what order to fulfill in…

Just received my notification that my order is preparing to ship!

i7 DIY

2 Likes

Sorry for the delays on this. To give more context on how the sausage is made:

1. Normally we want to do ongoing constant mass production after we start a production ramp on a product. We knew that there would be supply chain constraints this year, so we set up the batch pre-order system to be able to match to a more batch-based manufacturing. There isn’t a 1:1 mapping between the manufacturing batches and the pre-order batches, but a more complex mapping based on the specific configurations people order and production constraints on specific components and modules (which introduces variability).
  2. As we manufacture batches of specific configurations, we then book those into international freight shipments out of Taiwan (which introduces additional variability since the global freight environment is a mess).
  3. Shipments that arrive in the US then pass through customs (more variability), into the highly constrained inbound processing at our warehousing and fulfillment partner (variability).
  4. We send the “We’re preparing to ship your batch” emails when we have full confidence of all of the items in an order making it through step 3 in a broader time window, but the stackup of variability means we don’t provide a more specific shipping window in that email (something we changed after Batch 1).
  5. Once everything in an order makes it through step 3 and is in shippable inventory at our warehousing partner in New Jersey, we then send the “We’re shipping soon” email, charge the balance of payment, and issue the order to the warehousing partner to pick, pack, and ship out. Based on the normal service levels with our warehousing partner, this is supposed to take 1-2 business days. However, they are also bottlenecked in the current logistics environment, which has resulted in that stretching into additional days in some cases. We’ve now adjusted the email to say “within a few business days” instead of “1-2 business days” to account for that until we’re able to resolve the capacity bottlenecks there.
  6. The email with the tracking number is supposed to go out when the order is packed and shipped from the warehouse, but we see that folks are reporting it not going out until the day after they see the shipment in Fedex Delivery Manager. We’re digging into why that is now.

Thanks for your patience on all of this, and I hope this helps provide some more clarity!

51 Likes

I really appreciate this post, as some of us are obviously getting concerned. It helps to kind of be able to see a flow of what’s happening on your end and where that maps to what we can see on our end!

5 Likes

Oh, yes! Mine arrived. Oh, no! I promptly screwed my wireless adapter.

Mine arrived, and I went through instructions, but the connectors weren’t pressing onto the wifi board. I couldn’t get them to snap into place, and I gradually applied a bit more force. Now, looking under a magnifier, it looks like I’ve wrecked my wifi board :frowning: Oh, well. I am hoping that I didn’t damage the antenna wire connectors. These look to be coaxial.

Just as another data point for Canada- my 1165 DIY from 07/24 is being prepared to ship!

Just got my ‘preparing to ship’ email!

Ordered the 17-1185G7 on 7/30.

FWIW this is the only notification I’ve received.

1 Like

Just got a “Preparing to Ship” notification for the DIY i7 (65) and I ordered on 7/23.

1 Like

Got my soon to ship email today.

Thanks for this post, @nrp - I can’t imagine what logistical challenges all y’all are dealing with right now; the look inside is much appreciated.

6 Likes

Much like a number of people before me, I just got the “Shipping Soon” email. I ordered my on July 24.

Yeah i have news

We’re preparing to ship your order! Please review your info.
We’re preparing your Framework Laptop order now!

We’ll charge the remaining balance of $ to the payment method listed within the next two business days and ship out your order shortly after. We’ll send the next email when payment is captured.

1 Like

The laptops are making it out. This is obviously an exercise in patience given the state of the World. Like others, I received my tracking the day after the laptop had shipped. It was suppose to arrive today but FedEx (the worst) happened… FedEx gets delayed for a stiff breeze. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

4 Likes

I’m coming out of lurking just to thank you for this post and the level of transparency you have shown on basically everything that’s been posted on this forum. It is incredibly refreshing to see. So thank you extremely very much.

As a data point for the thread, ordered on July 27th (yep, I decided to go ahead with it because of the LTT review), i7-1165G7, NW US and have not yet received any emails (including the first “getting ready to ship batch”).

I shall continue to patiently wait for as long as necessary, I’ve got no immediate pressing need - I’m just excited to have a laptop that I can hack on and replace the parts easily, and want to support Framework’s business.

8 Likes

@retromat yeah, my biggest concern is FedEx. They Screw it up almost every order I am forced to get via them. I hope in the future we can have shipping service options. UPS and even USPS is more reliable.

Just got the notice today about going to charge my Card.

Fingers crossed that it gets shipped soon, besides FedEx issues I have a ferry going out of service on Sept 11th for 3 weeks. The fun of living on an island.

2 Likes

Really nervous that the laptops are shipping out via Fedex tbh…they lose literally 1/4 of my packages to who knows where (‘delivered’ but nowhere to be found). I recently had to change carriers with HelloFresh for my groceries because multiple boxes just get sent to the wrong place and never make it home .-.

Previously lost an eBay order as well, and that’s when I found out that if I’m not the shipper of an item, I can’t file a claim.

/rant

2 Likes

Did anyone order July 28th and get there email

1 Like