Posting this here in case somebody runs into the same issue I had - along with how I resolved it.
For context, I typically run on Ubuntu, however in the last week or so, I have installed Windows 11 natively onto my Framework laptop (i7-1165G7 CPU). Windows 11
I had no real issues until this evening, when, after rebooting my laptop as part of normal use, WiFi stopped working.
- WiFi disappeared entirely. Nothing in the taskbar in relation to it, and nothing in system settings that could be toggled on.
- Opening device manager and looking for the WiFi adapter, I found it with an exclamation mark and I was getting an error along the lines of
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)or that the device failed to start.
I also booted up an Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Live USB image, and coincidentally or otherwise, WiFi wasn’t working either. Worth noting that WiFi used to work for me on Ubuntu 22.04 until a week ago, but that was an actual install not a live USB, so some drivers might differ there.
On Ubuntu, looking at
syslog, I had
Failed to start RT ucode: -110 error messages.
Finally, my Windows 11 installation was set up with
Windows 11 Framework Laptop Driver Bundle 12_15_21 obtained from here: https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/framework-laptop-bios-releases-S1dMQt6F
Reinstalling the above didn’t work.
Official Framework driver bundle (mentioned above) provides driver version
I downloaded the latest Intel driver for the
AX210/AX211/AX411 card from here: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html which upgraded me to driver version
The laptop forgot my saved networks for some reason, but at least it now started working again.
# as root cd /lib/firmware mv iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-71.ucode /root/. mv iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-68.ucode /root/. mv iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-67.ucode /root/. mv iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-66.ucode /root/. modprobe -r iwlwifi modprobe iwlwifi
The above effectively downgraded the firmware to v63 which is the next latest available version that I retained at that point in time after removing the above.
Hope the above helps, and hope it’s a long term solution and issue doesn’t reappear.
Unfortunately, I still don’t know what caused it in the first place. I suspect it’s some very recent Windows update or module that is not compatible with the old WiFi driver however this is just a theory without any real basis.