Blank keyboard - laser etching

Hi, I couldn’t find definitive answer to this - since keyboard layout I want is still not availible, is it possible to laser engrave onto the blank ISO keyboard? Or would you recommend to take most simillar layout and cover it with stickers?

1 Like

The normal non-blank keys are a translucent base, with a white coating then a top black coating. Presuming blank keyboards are the same, laser etching may work perfectly. There are even companies that do it. Random example Laser engraving of keyboards — Silent Cloud TECH

1 Like

thanks, I just may have a go :slight_smile: if it doesn’t work, I’ll just buy another keyboard.

1 Like

Do let us know how it turns out. You might be the first to do it on a Framework.

2 Likes

It is doable but you’ll have to dial it in.
I probably wouldn’t try it without a spare keyboard to test on.

1 Like

That is an awesome result!

Could I ask what kind of laser you used? Co2, diode, fibre? And (minor considerations since I’ll have to figure out settings myself) what power is the laser and which speed/power settings did you use?

Background:
I’d like to scale up your results and completely engrave my blank ISO keyboard. This wasn’t urgent until yesterday. My 5 year old tried my keyboard to play a couple of games but kept getting lost in the sea of blank :slight_smile:

I’ve got access to a CO2 machine in our makerspace. So after I figure out keyspacing and do some tests I feel ready to give it a try.

1 Like

Where did you get this done?

Great news that the design files for the exterior of the Framework 13 have become available. The keyboard is represented as well, so it’s relatively straightforward to make an engravable file.

The design is on Github.

@nomb85, could I ask you again what kind of laser you used? Diode, CO2 or Fibre? That would save me from doing my own tests.

1 Like