Сyrillic (Russian + Ukrainian) lazer engraving on RGB US English keyboard

I got Framework Laptop 16 with RGB US English keyboard.

As a native Russian/Ukrainian speaker I wanted a combined Cyrillic layout printed on the keycaps, as described in this post: Bounty for a cyrillic keyboard? - #20 by ratijas.

So I searched for “laser engraving” on the local maps, and found a couple of businesses around. After chatting with them over WhatsApp I brought the laptop to one of them. (Needless to say they were quite surprised to see such a “Lego laptop”, eh.) We settled on an Apple font, tested on the dot/comma keycap first, and decided to proceed with the rest. It took around two hours to complete. It cost me 14 000 ₸ (~28 $) for the base RU layout plus 6 000 ₸ (~12 $) for the additional unique UA letters, so 20 000 ₸ (~40 $) total. Here’s the result (this photo hopefully contains an Ultra HDR image, if your device is capable of displaying it):

The newly etched symbols are dimmer than the original ones, which creates a nice subtle distinction between main/auxiliary key functions. In the workshop they said it’s because their laser does not cut deep through all the layers of paint ­— they only remove the top black layer.

I’m still trying to figure out the clear keys RGB Macropad Module. As you can see on the photo, it is much brighter than the keyboard even at the minimum brightness due to the amount of exposed area (basically, all of it, compared to thin etched letters on the keyboard). In the same workshop they suggested me the following:

1. Pluck the key caps out of the module.
  2. Black matte finish spray paint.
  3. Laser engraving.
  4. Transparent protective varnish.
6 Likes

translation of the post for discoverability

Я обзавелся Framework Laptop 16 с клавиатурой RGB US English.

Как носитель русского и украинского языков, мне хотелось клавиатуру с комбинированной кириллической раскладкой, вроде того, что описано в этом посте: Bounty for a cyrillic keyboard? - #20 by ratijas.

Поэтому я погуглил “лазерная гравировка” на картах, и нашел несколько сервисных центров в своём городе. Связавшить по WhatsApp, я привез ноутбук в один из них. (Нужно ли говорить, как удивились они при виде такого “лего ноутбука”?) Мы остановились на шрифте от Apple, сначала попробовали на точке-запятой, и решили продолжать. Это заняло пару часов. Стоило 14 000 ₸ (~28 $) за базовую русскую раскладку плюс 6 000 ₸ (~12 $) за дополнительные уникальные украинские буквы, в итоге 20 000 ₸ (~40 $). Вот результат:

Новые выгравированные символы темнее, чем оригинальные, что создаёт приятное тонкое различие между основными и вспомогательными функциями клавиш. Сотрудники сервиского центра сказали, это потому, что их лазер не режет сквозь все слои краски, а только снимает верхний черный слой.

Всё ещё выясняю, что делать с прозрачными клавишами модуля RGB Macropad. Как можно видеть как фото, он намного ярче клавиатуры, даже на минимальной яркости, благодаря огромной открытой площади по сравнению с тонкими прорезями символов на клавиатуре. В том же сервисном центре мне посоветовали следующее:

1. Вынуть колпачки клавиш на газетку.
  2. Аэрозольная черная матовая краска.
  3. Лазерная гравировка.
  4. Защитный лак.
3 Likes