Can't update Laptop 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 System Update

I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 on my Framework 13 AMD 7040, then installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS for dual boot. In Ubuntu updates it shows I have an update in Integrated Firmware for Laptop 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 System Update. When I try to update, I get an error saying /boot/efi does not have sufficient space, required 93.2MB, got 66.3MB. I believe the Windows EFI partition is 100MB.

(EDIT and SOLUTION) Firstly, don’t mess with your EFI partition or delete your Windows install or Ubuntu install, or try the shell EFI update. All you need to do is go to Framework Laptop 13 BIOS and Driver Releases (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)

1. Download the Windows 11 drivers and the Windows 11 BIOS.
  2. Run the exe to install or reinstall the drivers
  3. wait until it asks you to reboot and click yes
  4. Run the exe to install the Windows 11 BIOS
  5. boot into Linux and check to see if you still need a System Update. I did not.

SOLVED!!!

I had the same problem when I got my FW16 a couple weeks ago. It seems that Microsoft creates a very small partition for that, way too small to allow for firmware updating. :frowning: Had to use a different method to update the machine’s firmware, the “EFI Shell” method described here.

When I mentioned it to a friend of mine, he said that he uses some utility called ntlite to create a modified Windows installer, making that partition significantly larger. I didn’t want to wipe out all of my work and start over, so I haven’t tried that.

Had the same problem on my FW16. I eventually did do the EFI method, but I remember it being a gigantic pain in the neck.

If you “just did” Windows 11 without personal files you can simply wipe the drive and reinstall both OSes, and during the installation process manually set the EFI to 1GB

There was not an option to set the size of the EFI during installation of windows. My windows install is basically empty and my Ubuntu isn’t too far along yet, so I don’t mind starting over, but I need some instructions to size the EFI while I am reflashing the two OSes. Thanks.

It seems it is Rufus that creates the 100MB EFI and he definitely doesn’t seem to want to make it any bigger after reading much back and forth in the github comments ER: Please inrease the size of EFI partition to 200MB at least · Issue #979 · pbatard/rufus · GitHub
I downloaded ntlite, but the free version can’t size the EFI, only the 40 euro version.

So I am still stuck. I am not sure what to do to update the integrated firmware using the EFI method described [quote=“Chad_Nelson, post:2, topic:52656”]
here .
[/quote]

. I only see instructions for updating the BIOS. Is that the same thing?

Use the Ubuntu live USB stick to wipe the SSD and use gnome disks to manually create an EFI and an NTFS partition. Then install Windows and manually select these partitions