Clock stuck at .39Ghz

sadly, this is why I canceled my order.

This is the exact issue I’m having. First framework laptop I had worked fine, but was replaced due to refusing to power on or charge. The second laptop would regularly throttle. I was then shipped a replacement mainboard (laptop #3?), which seemed to fix it for a few days.
The issue still persists, I’ve tried pretty much every reasonable thermal paste, including Thermal Grizzly, Shin-Etsu, and Arctic MX-5.
I really want to keep using my Framework, but this is driving me insane. I’ve emailed another request to support. They’ve been very helpful, but regardless I’m really not hopeful this can actually be fixed.

@cowpod if you turn off the CPU turbo in Windows power settings, the throttling is resolved. You might need to edit the registry to see the option. Sadly the only solution I’ve found.

@preston thank you, even though this isn’t a solution - it completely removes a majority of the CPU performance.
It’s a shame that I’ll have to handicap my processor (not an issue with any other $1000+ laptop) in order to use it normally.

@cowpod I agree. It’s sufficient for me to be able to play Far Cry 5 smoothly so I can live with that. In the end the base clock isn’t that low either. But I’m also looking forward to a fix by Framework. @nrp please look into this.

Actually it is a common behaviour with intel cpus for a quite some time.
The new XPS 13 Plus is dealing with the same issue right now…
Havent had the issue myself though, therefore i have never looked into it and have no idea if it is fixable by the user…

I’m seeing this issue with the new 12th-gen board as well (not sure if anyone else here has the new board), on Linux. For me, it looks like:

1. Start playing a game
  2. After several hours playing, it suddenly slows to a crawl.
  3. Check CPUs; all are running at 399MHz. Check temperatures; max is around 65C.
  4. Quit game.
  5. Wait 15-20 minutes.
  6. CPUs recover and start working at higher speeds again.
  7. I can go back to playing the game, and it seems fine for at least a few more hours before slowing down again.

I’ve tried rebooting, but that doesn’t solve it. Even the Framework logo boot screen, and the GRUB bootloader screen paints slowly, before Linux is even loaded, so it doesn’t seem to be an OS issue. I feel like a BIOS/firmware update might be necessary to fix this, assuming it’s not a hardware/board design issue. I’ve had the laptop plugged in during all this (charged to 100% or near-100%), and haven’t yet tried unplugging it.

Have you tried kernel 5.18 ?
It brings a lot of improvements for 12th gen. Like 20% efficiency even on high loads.

That would be 5.19, I guess

@cowpod Two adjustments you can make on Throttlestop that potentially could be a temporary fix until framework comes with a bios fix… The problem seems to be when it throttles to some critical temperature, it goes to 400 mhz and doesn’t know how to come back up again.

You could maybe use throttlestop to decrease the temperature at which it throttles 2-3C so it never gets too hot, though if the bug could happen anytime it throttles, this might cause the bug to happen more frequently.

Another potential solution may be to lower the turbo ratios down incrementally to decrease the spiky nature of turbo and or set PL1 and PL2 time to infinity and cap the TDP value to a wattage that it will never reach a thermal limit and start throttling. You can maybe start at 28W and increase or decrease the TDP to maximize wattage while never throttling.

Have you tried kernel 5.18 ?

Yes, I’m running Debian testing, which is on 5.18 now. I’ve also tried 5.19 (in experimental), but that caused unusable mouse pointer jerkiness and stuttering.

I’m getting stuck on 0.39 Ghz with both linux and windows 10 on the alderlake laptop. I just started up the laptop today and it was slow, even in the BIOS.

It doesn’t make any difference if it’s on battery or plugged in, it’s still stuck at 0.39 ghz

edit: hmm, disabling the battery through the BIOS seems to have fixed this…

edit 2: This is weird… it seems like the disconnect battery option only applies for the next reboot (it isn’t saved like the rest of the BIOS settings).

Anyways, I think what happened was that I set the “disconnect battery” option, then on the next boot I disconnected the power to see if disconnecting the battery would cause it to fail to boot. It seems like it tried to boot, but ran out of power and shut off again. This seems to have reset something internally and fixed my problem in the process, so I will leave this here for anyone else who happens to stumble on this issue:

My steps were to set the “disconnect battery” option in the bios, then disconnect the power and try to turn it on again. It should try to boot without power and then fail. After that, it should work.

Putting this here too…

Hi there, don’t know if anybody else tried this, but I may have found a workaround to keep this problem from happening:
The only caveats are that it keeps the CPU from using the full speed available, but it keeps the laptop stable, and if you update the BIOS it resets the settings, so make sure to keep an eye on that.
If you go into BIOS and set CPU to Max-Non Turbo Performance and Disable Intel SpeedStep, SpeedShift and Turbo Boost Max, then it should keep the problem from happening.
This is with a Intel 11 i5, 16gb RAM and Windows 11, but it also fixed the problem on a Intel 12 i5 as well.
Hope this helps somebody!

Same experience, linking to my previous reply for visibility. I have tried everything - there is a major issue here, whether it be in power delivery in firmware or elsewhere.

Edit: nevermind :frowning: after another half hour or so, one of the core temperatures spiked to 100C, and now all cores are stuck throttled down to 400MHz again.

Thought I’d follow up here as well: after going through a ton of troubleshooting steps, Framework Support finally sent me a new mainboard, and that seems to have solved this issue (Excessive CPU thermal(?) throttling on 12th-gen - #12 by kelnos for details).

Hi everyone!

I own a Framework Laptop 13 DIY edition

my laptop’s CPU (12th gen Intelcore i7 - 1260p) has been stuck at 0,4 GHZ. I understand that this might be a BIOS issue, however i haven’t change any, nor there’s a resent update for them.

I would like to learn how to reset this particular bios settings or which setting I have to change.

regards,
Gabriel

Hey there, did you use the search?
We’ve had this one posted before several times.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue off an on for a few months. It seemed to resolve itself once automatically after leaving the laptop off for an entire weekend.

Since the issue started again for a second time I was unable to resolve the problem / find a workaround until this thread. There is one comment that mentions they removed the HDMI port from their framework laptop and it resolved the issue. I just wanted to leave a comment saying that doing so instantly resolved my problem as well.

Lucky! Removing all expansion cards doesn’t fix it for me, even…

I got the same problem on 13th gen intel.

I’m playing APEX and have high cpu usage, after some time(e.g. 10 min). It will go to 400Mhz for a long time. I only have this problem for some days. But it occurs every day.