Comparing Configurations, Discuss Implications of having different specs

If there is a similar topic already please link me to it – I did do my best to look! And consider pinning it… I really think a lot of people could benefit from a concentrated place to discuss the choices we make when ordering the DIY edition and its parts.

1. What configuration are you leaning toward/do you have?

2. Why did you consider/make those choices?

3. Any configuration-related tips, tricks, missteps, wisdom to share?

4. Any odd problems resulting from a specific configuration (e.g.: having 1 memory slot full and one empty)? Any interesting great combinations?

1 Like

My own answers to the questions:

1. Framework DIY Edition 12th Gen Intel Core i7 1260P (up to 4.7 GHz, 4-8 cores),
    AX210 WiFi
    Storage: (1) 500 GB WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe,
    Memory: (1) 16 GB (1x16 GB) DDR4-3200, other slot empty
    Expansion Cards: MicroSD, USB-C, USB-A, HDMI

2. I was doing what I imagine a lot of hardware/spec low-literacy people who still chose DIY (for better or worse) did. I fiddled with the options trying to get something in my price range that had the “most high level” (as adjudicated first by cost, then trying to read about each one online, with a low to mid level of comprehension) and hope for the best.

Chose Linux Mint because it’s what I’m familiar with and the set up guide was useful.

3-4: No comments yet because it’s too soon for me to tell – both in terms of use of the device and my own knowledge of how to say what would be going on anyway. I brought up the open memory slot thing not because there is any problem I have seen, but just that when I was putting it together I started wondering if it would have any effect to have something like that open. Would the computer properly recognize there was nothing there etc. Not saying that could happen (I have no idea), just an example of what I don’t know and would like to learn more about (kinds of issues that are possible).

Well, the best config for most people is the 1240P model. It has a substantial discount to the 1260P model with almost the same performance. It has marginal losses in CPU performance from the clock speed drop. It does suffer in the iGPU performance and especially so if only using one stick of RAM. Dual-channel is a must for iGPU performance. For those wanting gaming chops and the like, 1240P or 1280P are the only options. 1240P for the budget and 1280P for max performance, those extra CPU cores will matter in eGPU situations.

I have the 1240P model paired with an A770LE in an eGPU enclosure. I picked Fedora Kinoite as my OS for a multitude of reasons but the most prominent is the ease of rollbacks.

2 Likes

I second the lowest end CPU recommendation, (I got the 1135G7 after initially ordering the 1165G7) the middle class 12th or 11th gen CPUs see a meagre ~10% CPU and iGPU performance gain which is poor value to me and top end seem beneficial mostly due to the enterprise features they exclusively have, again performance differences are marginal especially in light of cost difference.

I selected 2x8GB ram as 16GB total is about enough for me for now but dual channel was a must (50%-100% iGPU improvement going single to dual channel). We are also at the start of DDR5/end of DDR4 so my next mainboard upgrade will certainly require DDR5 and I can increase capacity then.

I would have selected 4 type C expansion cards as a base and got additional cards to swap in or use as dongles because all but type C cards use additional energy just being connected. On a related note order everything you think you will need as shipping cost from Taiwan are high.

Edit: Also buy the 4.0kg hinges when you get the laptop!

I got a gen 4 SSD (Samsung 980 Pro) which was forward planning but in reality unnecessary, gen 3 SSDs are fast enough already and I value battery endurance more than storage speed.

@GhostLegion I’m curious why you consider the additional CPU cores beneficial to eGPU setup, is there some specific overhead that benefits from additional cores or are you looking ahead to when games utilise more than 4-6 cores concurrently?

1 Like
  1. What configuration are you leaning toward/do you have?
    i7-1280p DIY
    2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD
    2x32GB Kingston FURY Impact 3200MHz DDR4 CL20

2. Why did you consider/make those choices?
    Performance, I often need to run more than one VM at the same time.

3. Any configuration-related tips, tricks, missteps, wisdom to share?
    Nope, beside of modifying the batch file which installs the drivers. I’ve removed the lines which map the “Framework Key” (F12).
    And used PowerToys to remap PrtScrn (F11) and Framework Key (F12) to PageUp/PageDown.
    Useful if you do a lot of coding.

4. Any odd problems resulting from a specific configuration (e.g.: having 1 memory slot full and one empty)? Any interesting great combinations?
    Nope, everything works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly? Same. I got the SK Hynix P41 but it’s totally unnecessary for casual use.

As for the CPU performance, 1280P has the highest clock speeds and the most cores, so it in theory should offer the most performance, especially at lower resolutions. It’s a trade-off really. Laptop SKUs are already lowered powered than desktop SKUs given that the laptop SKUs present have roughly half the long term power draw (28W vs 65W). But then, the question is, would the extra power on tap for the 1280P be cooled enough to actually be able to stretch it’s legs or would it be forced into lower clock speeds than the 1240P because of the extra cores? I really don’t know tbh. Plus the extra cache helps the 1280P.

1 Like

Yeah pointless for the vast majority of users and gen 5 takes us to DDR3 RAM bandwidth!

Gotcha, yeah the additional L3 cache I think will help in particular. Higher end chips are usually more efficient at the same power level so I would expect it to be able to clock higher with the additional cores not being used during gaming I can’t see them having a negative impact.

2 Likes