Compatible SSDs and RAM

I’m looking to buy the DIY 12th gen Framework and reasearching what parts are compatible. Here are the parts I’ve landed on currently. Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB Performance Internal SSD - Newegg.com G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model F4-3200C22D-16GRS - Newegg.com was going to a get WD SN770 but thays currently more expensive than the seagate where I am. Are my current parts compatible?

1 Like

Seems OK?

The SSD: any PCIe NVMe SSD. Just not AHCI and/or SATA. Must have “M” slot (which is just a physical enforcement of “no SATA”).

The RAM: DDR4-3200 SODIMM. Must not achieve its rated speed through XMP. You can recongize this through the “disappointing” CAS - usually 22, fastest 20.

So both these look OK.

2 Likes

Hello

Having just recently purchased and set up my Framework DIY 12th gen laptop, I wanted to let you know that if you choose to provide your own NVMe SSD, make sure it is compatible beforehand.

I purchased the latest Western Digital Black SN850x and unfortunately, the bios would not detect it. The first thing I did was re-seat it but it didn’t change anything. The next thing I checked is the bios (It was up to date). Next, I tested the drive on my home PC and it recognized it immediately. So it looks like the SN850x is too recent for the Framework laptop for now. I’m sure in the future, the next bios updates will resolve this issue.

Luckily, the NVMe SSD my home PC OS was using (WD Black SN850) was on the compatibility list. I imaged the SN850 to my SN850x and then used the SN850 for the laptop. Problem solved, with the bonus that my home PC gets a boosted NVMe SSD.

The moral of the story is, to make sure your components are compatible.

Thank you for your time and have a pleasant day