CPU Ghz speed and BIOS questions

I haven’t owned a new PC in a long time - I always see my favorite Youtubers talking about either changing the wattage on laptops or switching the CPU governor from optimal to performance.

Does our Frame.work’s have something like this in the BIOS or within our Distros? I’m on Fedora and when I look in the BIOS my 1165 sayes its 2.8Ghz - I thought it was 4.80Ghz.

Anyway, I’m asking if theres settings such as this, and where they are - furthermore, if you can give me a rundown of what you run and why… and why I would NOT want to modify the settings, or why I totally should …

Thanks, I’m just digging in. Enjoying the heck out of this machine, but longing for… more/the best it can be. I’m on Fedora if that matters - and I appreciate ya’ll!!

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

A lot of these are on desktop PCs with unlocked processors. I believe the 1165G7 isn’t an unlocked processor. But additionally, most processors these days are smart enough to automatically turbo.

@Water261 No Laptop CPU made by Intel is unlocked except those with an HK suffix at the end and those processors are like 45w models, not meant for thin and light use

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

@Paulie420 Just make sure to get dual channel memory running at 3200mhz and a decent SSD, that will enable your CPU to not be waiting on any other components

Intel removed undervolting support with tiger lake I believe so there really aren’t any levers left to pull to try and gain any performance-the clock speed you are looking at is the base clock speed, the CPU will turbo as required, no need for concern there

I am not sure if Framework has enabled the removing of turbo/power limits on this laptop thats a question best asked of @nrp

2 Likes

The CPU runs at up to 2.8ghz normally.

4.7ghz is the turbo frequency.

The oversimplified version is that the processor can redistribute power between its 4 cores, downclocking the rest of them to free up power and thermal headroom for a single core to shoot up to 4.7 GHz, helpful for many programs where most of the work gets done on a single thread.

3 Likes

Great reply, @tassadarforaiur. So its just like my Raspberry Pi and I don’t have to mess with anything…

I’ve seen people change the wattage in BIOS and/or turn off some governer to allow for ‘performance’ mode… but it sounds like those aren’t features, or worries, that I need to set. I’m really liking the performance of the Frame so far - but I did come off a 12 year old Thinkpad, so. :stuck_out_tongue:

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

@GhostLegion Hoping I did OK when ordering my hardware. What do you think:

32GB RAM:
Corsair Vengeance Performance SODIMM Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 Unbuffered

SSD HDD:
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0B)

I’m quickly realizing that theres no other HDD options than this one NVMe slot, so I wish I would of ordered a 2TB or 4TB model - ugh. Now I’m gonna be stuck with this 1TB when I upgrade. :stuck_out_tongue: Guess I can get one of those external cases and have a fast SSD drive for on the go. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did I order top quality hardware to go with the Frame?

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

It would be overkill for me but I’m a humble student not doing any real pro work-high class components all of them that you chose

I’m sure it’ll serve you well

@GhostLegion I don’t do a LOT of heavy workload, but… I do some video editing on an iMac and… my old Thinkpad was VERY long in the tooth - so I just built a laptop that would work well into the future for me, allow me to do anything I want - like OBS or video editing - and the only error I think I made was NOT going for the 4TB or 2TB option when ordering SSD.

I think I have a laptop thats gonna stick with me in the Frame.work. :stuck_out_tongue: Stoked.

As for HDD space, MAYBE the 1TB will work out - I have a 250GB user port drive, many external options and a 16TB NAS setup… stupid computers.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

Did the Corsair Vengeance work?

I can confirm that 2 modules of CMSX16GX4M1A3200C22 (32GB) does work flawless on my framework 11th Gen. I had a couple of 32GB modules (64GB) of G.Skill Ripjaws that kept causing blue screens whenever both dim slots were used so I figured 32GB (2x16GB) is more than enough… and “down graded”

… and before anyone asks I did mem tests over night on each of the 32GB sticks overnight in slot 1 and got no errors… but as soon as I used slot 0 it would either freeze the computer or bluescreen so it just seems to be an incompatibility with the board… before that I had 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws that had no issues ever… just glad there is no more issues and I can sell both old sets.