Custom heat sinks, and dimensional drawings

Hi everyone !

As I’ve said on another post, I’m working on an advanced cyberdeck using framework parts. I have been looking into alternative cooling solutions that could allow the framework to reach higher boost speeds, but so far I’ve came up empty handed.

Would the framework team consider releasing at least some drawings showing dimensioning information on the stock heatsink(s) that you can buy on the marketplace ? I don’t have my framework in hand yet to try to measure myself (finally have been able to order a 13th gen :heart_eyes:), but I suspect most of the cooling bottlenecks are related to the small fan and heat pipes related efficiency loss.

Because the case of the deck will be custom, there is more space for cooling apparati. I have access to a good enough CNC and lapping tools, and would love to try making a larger heatsink+fan assembly and posting benchmark results if this can happen. Maybe it can be adapted in a slightly larger case, for those who don’t care about thickness but do about performance.

If anyone has any information, I would love to maybe get some pointers.

Have a nice day everyone !

3 Likes

Demand for heatsink drawings is going to skyrocket when the FL16 releases, as people are concerned about heat dissipation for the dGPU offerings. Your ask might get granted then, but I’m +1 on getting schematics for the heat sinks on the FL13 sooner than that.

1 Like

From the testing I’ve done on my i5-1240p framework mainboard, no amount of fiddling with settings in ThrottleStop seems to force the CPU to run at a higher power than is it set to - 60W for 10 seconds then 28W, which seems insane to me since a CPU should only start to throttle once it gets too hot, not after an arbitrary amount of time. My CPU throttles even when it gets nowhere near the PROCHOT threshold, while the CPU on my ThinkPad T430, an i7-3630QM, would slowly reduce the clock speed as it approched 100c. Changing the CPU voltage was also disabled a few generations ago due to the PlunderVolt vulnerability, further reducing the scope for performance improvements since it would’ve allowed you to increase the clock speed at the same power. Unfortunately it looks like AMD also followed suit with even their high end mobile CPUs. Your project could make a framework significantly quieter, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to get any more performance out of it. I would love to be proven wrong if someone knows otherwise, since I built a framework mainboard-based laptop with a thick chassis and space for a better cooler.

2 Likes

I would have liked the individual thermal pad thicknesses so easier replacement could be done.

I did think about adding some copper shims to the heatsink to increase the volume of ‘sink’.

1 Like

Huh, well that’s disappointing. I wonder if the same limitations will be present on Intel 13th gen ? I’ll receive my Fw13 this month, so I’ll try to see if it’s the same on this gen.

For my Cyberdeck, I’m going to have to make custom cooling anyway, because the stock cooling solution does not fit in the specific case I’ve made. The air outtake would be spitting hot air in the chassis, and I want to avoid that !

As of now, there is no bypassing the 28W limit (will see about 13gen but I wouldn´t be optimistic). Maybe if someone explores the EC firmware enough.