Dedicated key to toggle touchpad on/off

[For the OS I’m on the Windows 11 Pro]

I’m looking for a way to quickly toggle the touchpad on/off so that I don’t accidentally move the cursor while typing.

First I thought it would be easy to remap the F12/Framework key, so I downloaded PowerToys. The Keyboard Manager was not helpful for creating a quick setting switch. It allowed me to remap keys. It also allowed me to create new shortcuts to apps or websites. But I couldn’t find a way to make a hotkey that turns the touchpad on and off via the Windows setting.

I wish there was a dedicated function key for this on the Framework keyboard. And I didn’t expect it to be difficult to create this customization. But maybe someone else figured out a way. If you did, I would be grateful if you shared your method.

2 Likes

Qmk offers lots of customizabilty, but I don’t think it offers this function. If someone else find it figures it out I’d like to know, too qmk_firmware/docs/keycodes.md at master · qmk/qmk_firmware · GitHub

Use the System icon after having opened the above.
Then two clicks

1. System (already showing the above
  2. Toggle touchpad

If you are up to it create a batch file to just toggle it on and off.

[windows - (SOLVED) how to enable and disable device in one batch file - Super User]

3 Likes

Woah! Thanks! I did not know this was a thing! There are gestures too!

1 Like

I’m also looking for this feature and would appreciate any suggestions. I love that I can turn the RGB keyboard animations on/off by just hitting fn+w and would really like to be able to toggle the touchpad on/off from the keyboard.

I’d ideally like to be able to do this at the hardware level, independent of the OS (I don’t want to have to figure out how to setup a hotkey-batch-file combination again everytime I switch distros and I so far I have been unable to get this to work on Ubuntu 24 – I’m sure there is a way but life is short…).

If a newer touchpad/keyboard became available that supported this out of the box at the hardware level I would buy it in a heartbeat. In the meantime, if anyone has a software solution that works on a Framework 16 running Ubuntu 24, I’d love to hear about it.