DIY Staggered Columnar Laptop Keyboard (Semi Ortholinear) [Prototype]

Clearance would probably be your largest issue unless you plan on taking it off every time you shut the laptop.

1 Like

Just discovered Framework and am blown away by how much it changes the game. The sustainability/repairability and linux support alone are enough to make other brands feel uncompetitive, but just when I thought it couldnā€™t get any betterā€¦ qmk on a laptop keyboard? Amazing.

That said, Iā€™m really hoping alternative layouts gain traction. Massive spacebars are so wasteful.

While a full ortho would be ideal, if itā€™s any easier to just take a standard layout and split up the spacebar into as many keys as possible, that would get me 90% of the way towards what I want.

4 Likes

I understand that itā€™s a very niche market for an ortholinear laptop keyboard, but weā€™re also the bunch whoā€™s willing to pay a hefty price for it. The average price of an ergo ortholinear keyboard is above $200 for sure. And Iā€™m willing to pay $500 (excluding the keyboard itself) just to have it installed. If someone is willing to install an ortholinear keyboard (preferably 3x5_3), please kindly DM me. Iā€™ll immediately buy a framework and a compatible keyboard.

Iā€™m so sick of using the regular laptop keyboard. I curse every time I have to put the acrylic sheet and then my chocofi on top of the laptop keyboard and connecting it and all the shenanigans just to use a decent keyboard that doesnā€™t hurt my wrists.

Thanks guys!

5 Likes

The problem is that I donā€™t think any compatible keyboard exists. Someone could potentially create one, but the construction of laptop keyboards is challenging and expensive. In order to make them thin enough. And a lot of the most dedicated custom keyboard users seem to strongly prefer mechanical keyboards, to the point of feeling hatred for membrane laptop keyboards. So I think those two combined are the reason it doesnā€™t exist.

The Framework-16 I bet will overcome this though.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious, is there any news on this? It seems like it might be doable to mod the hinges to gain some extra space for the keyboard.

Itā€™d be awesome to use an ergonomic keyboard inside this laptop!

2 Likes

Hello.

Thanks a lot for your interest.
I am personally more interested in an ergo keeb as plug in play as possible, without further modification to the FW13 beside the input cover.

As an alternative, I am looking into cutting a proper aluminium based for the keyboard like the original one, then build a custom membrane on top of it.

While I am at it, hello again @nrp .
I know you are probably quite busy handling the new models releases as well as the next points on FWā€™s roadmap, but I was wondering if there was any update regarding the individual key switch development, now that the FW16 is out?

Best regards to all.

5 Likes

Ah yeah I shouldā€™ve said that Iā€™m talking about the FL16.
Iā€™d also love a mostly plug and play keyboard for the FL16, but Iā€™m wondering if itā€™d also be possible to create a detachable bluetooth keyboard. Thatā€™d be insanely cool for on the go, but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s possible. The batteries would probably fit easily on the sides, the harder problem is structural integrity and a nice mounting system. ZMK should be able to take care of the firmware and bluetooth part, so thatā€™s nice.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious if this is being pursued? Iā€™m so used to my ergo dox that I just canā€™t do laptops any more, and Iā€™m looking at the Voyager mentioned above.

3 Likes

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the interested.
Progress is slow, but I am still working on prototyping a better base layout for the keyboard using CNC.

6 Likes

If such a thing ever comes to pass I will teleport money into your wallet.

3 Likes

Not mine, but a cool related project here: The mikefive, a Kailh PG1316 keyboard

The height is unfortunately 5mm, 1.3 mm short of the maximum clearance that the FW13 allows, but great to see some lower switch profiles.

1 Like

Those Kailh PG1316 switches look extremely similar to Cherry MX ULP 3.5mm switches. Once they are fully in production, I hope the Kailhs are easier to get than the Cherrys.

1 Like

I just picked up a Framework 16 for work and Iā€™ve also been a ZSA Voyager user (Moonlander before that) since its release. Iā€™d be over the moon for a new keyboard with an ortho layout, but Iā€™m also not holding my breath for it (though Iā€™d happily pay $500+ for one FYI). I would be ecstatic for JUST a flat layout that doesnā€™t have any keys and instead just has some magnets the Voyager can attach to. I donā€™t even need it to connect over pogo or anything fancy. Literally just a magnetic mount with no actual keys so I can keep the Voyager from slipping off while I move around. Iā€™m fine with still needing a USB cable to connect with, I just want a fixed mount.

Iā€™ve considered working out how to make a clamp of some kind with folding arms on a tripod ball mount. Then when I want to close the lid I can fold the arms up, put the lid down, and close the arms over the top of the lid. But I have absolutely no idea where Iā€™d even begin with something like that. Anywho, love these ideas and I hope we get an ortho layout in the future!

1 Like

Also thought of this and beside design and building difficulties aside, I thought that it might be rough on the keyboard to keep it above the lid while putting it in my backpack.

Sharing the good news here too:

11 Likes