Ethernet Expansion Card

@Josh_Cook
I’m not sure if it’s helpful or anything. But I have some experience with order fulfillment and inventory management from my previous job. Given I was primarily dealing with medications and lab samples but those are about the same size, right?

I’ve dealt with USPS, UPS, and FedEx. I would be willing to help. I’ve only done domestic shipping, and am only familiar with the above but would be willing help with international shipping. It’s just not something that’s come up for me.

I really like this community and I think it’s great that people are actively participating. I don’t even see this in my classes anymore.

Anyways, I check back here regularly, or anyone can DM me.

1 Like

I probably will have somebody in the US and eu to do fulfilment, for the first couple prototypes that I ship to people will be done by myself but once I start scaling up I would get somebody to help. I will ask for help whenever needed. Currently I’m at 47 responses of people being interested which is not a bad number.

2 Likes

Absolute idiots, Hong Kong has canceled practically all flights into Sydney, probably will not be getting my replacement part any time soon. Probably will have to get a prototype company to print it for me until it comes or someone on this forum.

I don’t have a google account, but I am interested in one for sure. I will message you.

@Josh_Cook

Aside from the form that was posted, was there another way we were supposed to get on a list? Or should we DM you?

Yep just DM me thanks.

Nice! i really hope this is ready by the time i can order one here in the Netherlands.
Unless by that time i see more about a 15inch laptop being made as that’s more my preferred size. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

DM sent. Thanks in advance for your time and atttention.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook This is really cool. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like? It’s kinda hard to visualize it’s size for me just from the posts on this topic.

3 Likes

@David_Schuler Of course! I will be shipping anywhere that the carrier I use allows. Unless there are trade restrictions to the country you reside in.

1 Like

Installed into the laptop. I have found doing it upside down so it pushes the laptop upwards is quite hard to 3d print without much support which is what I aim for. I’m currently getting a workbench setup for assembly of my first prototypes and begin sale.

4 Likes

Personally I think any oversize design like this should extend up to be beside the keyboard like that, rather than push one side of the laptop higher, so that printing limititation is more like a feature imo.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this project for a while, because a full size non-breakaway Ethernet port is one of my few hard requirements in a laptop. I do a ton of field work with network gear, and am using an Ethernet patch cable to connect to different devices at least several times a day, sometimes dozens. My laptop is mostly being used on my lap, but sometimes I’m lucky enough to have a flat or somewhat flat surface to set it on. It’s also getting pulled in and out of a laptop bag many times a day.

The port protruding from the side looks like it could be problematic for my use. I’ve had no trouble with stubby USB-A devices, like mouse receivers, but this looks like it would be prone to snagging, especially while sliding in and out of a laptop bag. If it does snag, it would be exerting more force on the module due to the leverage from its extra length. I was expecting it to protrude from the bottom, which would fit much better with my use case.

My issue is I cannot physically fit it. I’m already using a design with components on either side. Also if I print it upside down it actually is more prone to breaking, I tested it without the other side of the laptop lifted off the ground and it seemed weaker, also way harder to produce.

2 Likes

Just throwing this out there, but what about a, uh…

… creatively designed port? (https://www.digikey.com/short/7d3wb4ch) - that would enable you to “wrap” the board profile around the port and have it tighter embedded in the card. It may even be able to be stuffed inside/under the laptop as desired. As far as 3D printing goes, well… I’ve got access to a Markforged 3D printer that seems to be able to print anything you throw at it with CAD-perfect dimensions - as long as it doesn’t have tiny X/Y protrusions under 0.4mm or so. Would love to try printing a part :wink:

It’s annoying that there don’t seem to be any mechanically-gifted ports available for DIY purposes. There are plenty of examples of expanding RJ45 ports on laptops – be it a flip-down door
or a lever-based mechanism
But these are certainly near impossible for a DIY project to 3D-print, especially as they rely on precision-bent wires forming pins, and precision-crafted metal bits (can probably flat CAD it and have them laser-cut and folded?).

Then there’s the issue of magnetics, but those have gotten pretty tiny (the first example has magnetics included!).

update: oh, now here’s an idea

Folding RJ45 Female Connector Brass Shielding For Computer Cat 5 Performance Catagory
Doesn’t include magnetics, but those could be stuffed elsewhere I’m sure. Then you’d just craft the top of the RJ45 jack into the housing. Then, et voila, you have yourself an RJ45 that should fit neatly into the case, latch side up, barely clearing the top of the card (heck, maybe even notched into the top). :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s painful sourcing these weird and wonderful connectors so I chose full size just to make it easier to source parts for. Framework has confirmed that it will be a oversized card.

1 Like

:thinking: I mean, from Digikey it’s like, just order a batch of 100 (maybe even 50) and you’re set for life with this project ('til Framework comes out with their own and obsoletes it). With the Chinesium one, it’s like… “hai can I order a sample” and they’ll send you a bag with more than you could ever dream of using :wink:

I’d imagine sourcing is a problem for Framework, but not for something this low quantity, nah?

I’ve used laptops with the hinge jack and what would you guess, it’s broken. It is not durable. I don’t know the quality of these weird jacks.

1 Like

might it not be better to use a pigtail adapter cable like 3Com used to use with their PCMCIA cards?

I guess that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of having an Ethernet expansion card, as then you might as well use a USB-C-to-Ethernet dongle in the first place.

5 Likes