Ethernet Expansion Card

Tl;DR Go on, then!

I just wanted to drop a line to say that air-gapped networks are my life. I need portability and reliability, and I absolutely wear Ethernet jacks out. The best part about this for me is the replace-ability coupled with framework connector design saving the device side from wearing out. I could stock up on usb-c framework connectors and use dongles, but it’s just one more thing to keep up with and try not to drop/crush. Dongles have not been kind thus far. Your design would just live in one of my expansion ports, and if I tweaked a pin, I could just yank it out and replace for $50. Very appealing.

4 Likes

That’s a bit of encouragement to make 2.5 GBE.

7 Likes

I’d already be interested in buying your gigabit version if only to support third party development but 2.5Gb would make your version superior to the “official” expansion card I believe, that might boost sales

1 Like

Not quite the “oragami” jack, but here’s a folding one where it’s just the part and not the entire platform:

4 Likes

Amazing engineering on whoever made the RJ-45 port. Has a few too moving parts though.

@magg1e16 On the question of defective units I will cover the cost of replacement, will keep a 1 year warranty and 30 day change of mind return.

4 Likes

Josh, This would be a once a month thing for me as well. But also want to support the project. I have no experience in shipping but my daughter and ex wife do a lot of international trade shows and know a thing or two. From there stories, seems like volume may be easier. If there is any way I can help (such as reshipping individual orders for you from here) let me know. As long as the quantities are reasonable I am happy to do it for free as my dues to our mini rebellion. If you think this could be of benefit, reach out and either way, thanks for taking this on.

6 Likes

Same here for good old Europe. I used to sell some hard to find adapters a couple of years back to people all over the world (some actually did go to Australia) and still got a lifetime supply of Jiffy 00 padded envelopes sitting in the basement.

From that experience, I’d say items such as your expansion card ship globally very well and also somewhat reasonably priced as a registered letter in a padded envelope. Would be happy to help out though it if makes sense.

2 Likes

Finally, the PCB’s have arrived! Will be assembling them after I finish getting my framework laptop setup. For Europe I may look into getting someone on the forum that I can trust to deal with reshipping them and possibly the US and Canada. I will be shipping to anywhere as long as the person is willing to cover the charges.

8 Likes

Would gladly grab one from ya.

A small delay, my 3D printer broke down while printing. Hopefully will open orders before February. I may supply people the assembled PCB without the case but wouldn’t have been able to test it.

6 Likes

So not even the official framework expansion card dreams of being the size of one slot…

1 Like

Mine is staying in one slot but protruding about 2 and a half centimetres, this is a relatively tightly packed board with components on either side.

1 Like

kudos to you, how are you going to have the RJ-45 port then if you are not going higher as well?

Forgot to mention that, it comes up from the laptop so it can still sit flush.

Reading through this thread inspired me a lot lol, how do you even know this much as a 13 year old? @Josh_Cook

it’s simple, he’s the best

3 Likes

One person. Eevblog (Dave Jones)

2 Likes

Hey @Josh_Cook . Do you have any pictures of the expansion card you’ve made? I’d love to see a real life photo.

2 Likes

@Josh_Cook,
If you need help printing parts let me know I can help.