Expansion Card causing flickering and disconnections when I plug in an arduino

Basically, when I plug my Arduino into my USB-A expansion card, everything connected to my laptop momentarily disconnects, the screen flickers, and my computer monitor turns off and on again. It seems like some sort of power surge happens? I’m very concerned about damaging my laptop. The expansion card then stops working, as in if I unplug the Arduino but try to connect my mouse it no longer recognizes my mouse. Then if I unplug then re-plug the expansion card it works again and my mouse is recognized. I put the expansion card in a different slot and it worked in that slot. So it seems specific to the slot on my computer rather than the expansion card itself.

Any ideas on what I should do? I’ve contacted customer support but I wanted to see if anyone else has this experience. It seems like there’s something wrong with the specific port.

If you have a very early Framework Laptop, it is possible you are running into this issue on that bay: https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/one-port-on-my-laptop-does-not-function-correctly-r1mqMnTet

1 Like

My laptop is part of batch 5, but that does seem likely to be this issue. Thank you, I will try this out.