External Display not working for BIOS/Grub2

Maybe I’m doing something odd and if so I’ll just live with it. However since setting up my 16 and using a Dock to connect it to all my peripherals (including an external display) I get no Bios output or Grub2 video from the machine during boot. The internal panel of course works perfectly with both but if I leave the lid closed the external display doesn’t work until the prompt for encryption password during a normal boot sequence. I have checked to see if there is a preferred display output option in the BIOS but I couldn’t find one. The other option I tried was manually forcing Grub at least to use the external display with “video=DP-10:D” in the options for Grub2 however that made the system unbootable. I am working with a Framework 16 and Dell WD19S dock. Once booted into the system everything works as expected without any issues.

Using a Dell WD19TB dock, and the external display works one time out of 2.
And usually, it only shows the when the kernel is already booted. Means I can’t go into the BIOS using the external screen (actually, never tried).

I’m guessing by the radio silence that display output through the BIOS is maybe still something in it’s infancy and what I’m doing with a dock is just not supported yet? Or is there something else I can try from the Grub2 side of the house that would get it working? I do have an external SSD that I could install something like Mint or PoPOS to and boot from it to see if that works. This may be a Nobara/Fedora issue, in that case I could also try Fedora 40 on that 3rd SSD as a test as well. Will report my findings here if I get a solution or at least closer to figuring it out.

Ok troubleshooting results.
New OS did nothing to fix it so it would appear to be not software specific.
Tried using the display port connector in port 2 (one of the display output ports) and still no joy on the bios screen or Grub screen. They still only work on the internal display.
Tried using an HDMI connector again in the same port 2 location for consistency sake and got the exact same result as the display port connector. Both work btw once the OS is booted and output as expected.
Starting to believe this may be a limitation of the hardware support from the BIOS but a Framework engineer would probably need to weigh in on that front. The following is a link to the guide I was using for the display connectors as an fyi.

1 Like