[Fedora 38 thread] Fedora 38 on the Framework Laptop

Since a clean install is recommended, it would be nice to have it included in the guide how to have a separate home directory so that we don’t have to backup all the images, videos and documents in an external drive, especially if we have a 1To or more SSD and you just need to overwrite under 50GB of data !

I never understood why this is not a option in the GUI installer
This is the kind of answer I get

“Oh but you should always have an external drive in general”

• Well, what if I need to reinstall and I don’t have one because 1. I am traveling 2. It’s already half full so there’s not enough room 3. I am poor so it’s expensive. 4. It’s a old glitchy HDD and it will take an hour and you’re not even be sure you get all of your data back.

“You can ask around”

• Most people I know have external HDD and they’re 500GB and they already have data on it…

“It’s pretty easy to create manual partitions by hand”

• None of the resources I have the occasion to consult were clear or beginner friendly.
    This the best I could find : Installing Using Anaconda :: Fedora Docs
    What are they even talking about ? What is Anaconda ? If it were easy, beginners would do it.
    As a linux beginner, you already went out of your way to “be free” from Windows maybe that’s ok to have an installer option rather that read documentation on partionning.
    You know that the furhter you go from the main road, the more alone you will be and without any knowledge to fend for yourself, you’ll be lost. It takes time to learn to swim, maybe it’s cool if keeping one’s system up does not involve backing up everything

Maybe I should lobby the Fedora forums rather than here, but I’d still appreciate it being included in the FW docs :slight_smile:

I recommend you read up on it in the Fedora Documentation. Standard Partitioning has always been available though it has not been the default for at least 15 years. The standard install assumed using an LVM install until about two years ago. It now defaults to btrfs.

Using the schema you are suggesting is not an ideal way to do this anyway. There is a reason most people recommend backing your data up. I have read about somebody losing all their data because they accidentally overwrote their home partition on a variety of linux distros at least a hundred times, and almost every time they rage about it even though it was their own fault.

Do the right thing, have a dedicated backup for your stuff,make it a priority instead of trying to use a workaround that leaves you at risk.

@nadb I am sorry I am not understanding your point very well

Standard Partitioning has always been available though it has not been the default for at least 15 years. The standard install assumed using an LVM install until about two years ago. It now defaults to btrfs.

Ok, but I was not saying it was not available, all I was saying is that it should be automated.
Are you saying this is technically not feasible ? Why ?

Using the schema you are suggesting is not an ideal way to do this anyway. There is a reason most people recommend backing your data up. Ihave read about somebody losing all their data because they accidentally overwrote their home partition on a variety of linux distros at least a hundred times, and almost every time they rage about it even though it was their own fault.

I am not sure I am suggesting anything else than automation. How am I going to accidentally overwrite my data my hand if what I am suggesting is not having to do it by hand ?

Fedora is a volunteer project. It clearly moved on from standard partitioning over a decade ago. So maybe not feasible but it certainly falls into the ain’t broke, not gonna fix category. Also while using standard partitioning what would the breakdown be, how much storage in each location, who is going to maintain the code for this niche automation. LVM and Btrfs are far more flexible, and you can still do what you want MANUALLY. No one is going to put the effort into adding this functionality for what is essentially a niche use case. Also if you think automation can’t break things…

@a_framework_owner Thank you for the feedback.

Let’s wrap this up here as to keep this very specific, topical thread on topic and avoid making this a lengthy back and forth. Thank you

3 Likes

Just got a new 13th get Framework 13. FWIW, on Fedora 38 I had to disable secure boot for sleep to function. This is with full disk encryption. TLP with default config.
-Kevin

1 Like

This is usually the first thing I do in general. Was this for a dual-boot setup?

@Matt_Hartley No, just Fedora 38, no other OS’s installed.

Hello, everyone. I took the Linux dive last year with my purchase of a DIY Framework 13 12th Gen laptop, on which I installed Fedora Linix. I’ve been loving it. Every day I check for updates in Gnome Software and run them. So, I have been using Fedora 38 since it became available. Today, however, after running the updates, my laptop now take a very long time to boot and/or restart. I’m talking go take a shower, make a pot of coffee, and vacuum the living room long. Seriously, the laptop sits on the “Framework” welcome image for a good 20 minutes or longer before it finally goes to the user login button. Has anyone else encountered this after installing today’s Fedora 38 updates?

Have a look at:

With a workaround for Fedora:

2 Likes

Sounds like the TPM bug, please see the above links.

Thanks, @Matt_Hartley and @next_to_utter_chaos for the speedy replies. I’m tied up for the rest of the evening, but I’ll implement in the morning and let you know how it goes. I greatly appreciate your advice!

1 Like

The suggested remedy worked perfectly. Thanks very much!

4 Likes

The above solution worked perfectly for me too!

I love how the Framework only needs a single press of the ESC key to access the grub menu when the FrameWork logo first comes up.

I prefer single press to constantly needing to press a key at boot or even worse when you need to hold a key.

Thanks heaps all.

Will we get a different guide like this (https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/Fedora38-13thGen.md) for the AMD version once it gets released? Or does it all apply the same (after all it’s just tweaking the SSD and brightness keys).

Yep, we will have a specific guide for AMD Framework 13 here in the near future.

2 Likes

Is only the Workstation edition supported (aka only GNOME) or are the spins also supported?

We have folks in the community running all sorts of spins and related. And we encourage you to use what works best for you. However, it’s when it comes to troubleshooting in a ticket that we ask that the point of failure is tested on a supported distro (GNOME/Fedora for example) as we test against it.

So if something was having issues in, KDE for example, but didn’t have those experiences in GNOME, we feel confident that it’s not hardware. We’d then try to point you in a good direction for the support with the KDE issue, but recommend GNOME as it is rock solid.

That said, everything in Fedora (for the most part) is pretty great.

2 Likes

I’ve been on popos with my framework 11th gen for a while now, but I wanted to try fedora since it seems popos is no longer officially supported by framework. I installed fedora 38 fresh to an external drive just to try it out, and followed this guide: Optimizing Fedora Battery Life

I’m losing about 3-4% battery per hour on sleep, which as I recall is similar to what I get in popos. The difference is that I have hibernate enabled on popos, so I don’t notice it as much. Is it normal to lose battery this quickly while the laptop is asleep in fedora? It doesn’t seem like hibernate is really an option with fedora, which makes me hesitant to switch.

I have the same problem. I have the feeling it came with some update. Hopefully it also goes away with an update… Next major release will be in october. If this doesn’t fix it, I switch to some other distro… sad… was quite happy with fedora…