For those of you looking for a fully upgradable phone to go along with your frame.work laptop

I know many of you are all about that diy life and upgradable/user replaceable devices which is why you bought this laptop. I wanted to bring attention to the Pinephone it’s a Linux phone that’s $200 and is fully serviceable (they even put out a upgraded main board). I am not affiliated with the company however I do own one and have even bought the new main board to swap into the phone. Figured some of you guys would find it interesting.

3 Likes

There is a ShortCircuit review on the youtubes about it: This $200 phone can do ANYTHING!!! - Pine64 Pinephone - YouTube

1 Like

I’ll wait for the framework mobile :rofl:

7 Likes

There is also the TeraCube 2e (https://myteracube.com). And if you’re in Europe, the FairPhone. Both run stock Android, though not always the latest release. I reviewed the TeraCube here:

5 Likes

I ordered a Pinephone recently since my iPhone 7 has been dying for a little over a year now, and it’s really starting to be painful to use. With iOS or Android, I don’t feel like I own my phone, I just rent it from Apple or Google. So having an independent option is pretty cool, even if the ShortCircuit review makes it seem about as painful as using my current phone.

yeah, unfortunately the “open” phones seem to be rather…slow. It’d be nice to have one with a 700 series snapdragon at least but I suppose financial viability must not be there.

I wish somebody would make a fully upgradable feature phone (KaiOS is the os that most feature phones use)

A framework mobile with CalyxOS would be my go-to phone.

+1 for pinephone. I own one and it’s a fantastic device. I’ve even upgraded the motherboard to the newest revision with more RAM and storage. Is it slow? yeah, but it does almost everything it’s supposed to, and it’s fixable should something break.

@PixelPaintbrush you can upgrade the motherboard? That’s fantastic… you say it’s slow but can it do email, twitter, and youtube? (That’s really all I would need it to do)

1 Like

@yessikg Absolutely can do email, twitter, and YouTube. Just don’t expect 1080p. 720 works decent enough though! just gotta be patient sometimes to do the email thing, sometimes it hangs…but hey, open sourced, fixable, and a VERY friendly community just can’t be beat.

1 Like

@PixelPaintbrush That’s awesome! Which OS do you recommend for it?

What about the Fairphone, two models are available. FP3 and FP4. The FP4 with three setups 6G RAM ~ 128G is the lowest.

1 Like
1 Like

This is very cool. It’s a shame that Fairphone is EU only and that they removed the headphone jack, but the more phones that can run this ROM, the better.

1 Like

Pro1 X ships soon. Repairable, ships with Ubuntu Touch or Lineage OS out of the box, and a physical keyboard! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Where do they mention this being a tenant of the Pro1 X? I tried looking but didn’t see anything. If it really exsist I would be very interested in this. I have ordered a Planet Computers Astro Slide that I’m waiting on as well. (And a Purism Librem 5 that is going on 4+ years now, but we wont go there.)

Available international via resellers.
Check clove.uk

And

They have a section on the IGG page that mentions it, with links to a couple videos including screen repair and full disassembly.

Here’s screen replacement: Pro1 and Pro1 X Display Replacement on Vimeo
Here’s full disassembly: Disassembling Pro1 and Pro1 X on Vimeo

The phone is assembled with screws wherever possible (instead of soldered or glued-in parts) and I believe they made an effort to use the same screw throughout most of the phone.

They sell spare screens and batteries in the store to help make replacement easier, and you can also get them bundled with the phone on the IGG page.

On their website it looks like they are cooking up a dedicated section for more help videos like this:

3 Likes