Framework 13 2.8k display cable routing

I’ve just received an AMD DIY with 2.8k screen. The display cable looks like this:

2 questions:

1. AFAICT, the white part is an adhesive strip like the ones on the bezel. Should it be stuck to the display? I do not see it mentioned in the AMD quick start guide nor the Display replacement guide.
  2. I assume the cable nearest the foil backed side needs routing in the channel? Its currently below/outside it. This also isn’t mentioned in the guides (and the display looks different), but I did note a recent comment mentioning similar.

Thanks

2 Likes

There’s some discussion on the batch 1 thread. Batch 1 of Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series) Refresh - #33 by Sebastian_NB

1 Like

Looking at the display replacement guide it did not explicitly call out the new 2.8K panel for FW13 models. Hopefully someone from Framework can clarify if the cable routing is intended to be identical or is slightly different than what is shown in the guide. Maybe @Destroya can chime in.

Thank you for the picture of your new machine. Enjoy the new display!

1 Like
  1. I’ll wait for confirmation regarding the adhesive. I recall Hinge clicks - #13 by mjnz previously, so don’t want to cause them unnecessarily. I’ve also asked support.

2. Almost certainly it needs routing inside here:

Just thought it was strange it was shipped below.

1 Like

Hi I had the same issue with the cable and didn’t check carefully enough which resulted in a broken bezel :tired_face:

The support was very nice (replacement is on its way) and recommended the following guide for routing the cable.

„ We have a guide that walks you through replacing the Framework Bezel located here:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve read through that guide (and the one for display replacement), but it doesn’t mention cable routing in detail.

Does yours have the white strip here?

2 Likes

Yes, same strip. I was also wondering what to do with it

1 Like

Does the image at 9 seconds into this video show how it is ‘stuck’ just below the display ???

2 Likes

After 8 messages back and forth with support who could not give a definitive answer to this (besides “the display cable needs to be routed correctly”), I gave up and stuck it down per this image. Thank you.

Lucky I did - the display’s motherboard connector had partially disconnected and the silver/foil-backed tape had come away from the hinge.

Feedback to Framework: if the new screen is intended to be shipped like this (and it wasn’t a QA oversight), a specific call out in the guides would be useful.

5 Likes

It does not rally matter what you do to this white strip. It is emant to be sticked on the display (it was like this with my old cable). But for me when I pulled the white paper, the glue came down with the paper as well and the cable still fits needly in to those aluminium rails.
My only problem now is that I get serious graphical problems in the boot process… When the OS is loaded, its fine though.