Display cable situation

Before I go on, I want to give a big shout out to the Framework Support! My screen failed couple of days after my DIY edition laptop arrived (image degraded, stripes on the screen, parts not working at all). As advised, I reached out to the support first, and after couple of emails, images and order details, new screen was on the way. It was installed, all good so far. Anyway, there is stuff I’d like to point out, maybe it helps others.

After inspecting the original display setup, I realized that silver grounding tape was not sticked to the hinge in the factory. There is no reference to check this in the documentation, so I didn’t pay attention when memory and SSD were installed. It is relatively well hidden so you won’t notice it unless you take a close look. I don’t know whether this affected the display cable or not, but I strongly suggest to check it out. Maybe someone from Framework here can advise. My machine was shipped in February 2023.

The new display came with reinforcement on the cable, at the place that goes under the hinge, as you can see in the image. Don’t know should this be applied on the existing cables without it, probably the best course of action would be not to fix what ain’t broken, but let me leave this info here, in case someone finds it useful :slight_smile:

I mean, is it a reinforcement at all? It didn’t look like it should be removed, and it fits exactly to the spot where the cable could be strained the most. Thanks!

2 Likes

while it’s good to have this on the forum, you may also want to send an email reply with all this info to support in the same thread that you already have open. Since this is a user forum, they may see your post here, but support emails are the best way to make sure your feedback is seen!

3 Likes

Thanks, makes sense :+1:

1 Like

I mean, is it a reinforcement at all? It didn’t look like it should be removed, and it fits exactly to the spot where the cable could be strained the most.

Is is, in fact, reinforcement, support confirmed it.

1 Like