Framework 13 AMD Ryzen with WD_BLACK sn850x 2TB is unstable, sporadically reboots and cannot find the boot device after those reboots until a power-cycle

Dear Framework Community,

I bought a Framework DIY laptop with a Ryzen 5 processor from Batch Q4 '23. I have been using it productively since the beginning of the year.
There have been no problems so far.

Unfortunately, serious problems have been occurring since last Friday and I am very worried about them.

On Friday, 2nd Februrary 2024, I came back from my lunch break and wanted to use the computer again. The external screen remained black. So I opened the laptop and saw a message from the bios (see attachment) that the boot device was missing.

I attached a photo of the bios message to this post.

I was able to restart the computer using the on/off switch and it started normally again.

Unfortunately, the same problem occurred again on the next day. I was able to restart the computer again.

I use an external monitor with USB-PD with 90 Watts. No other devices were connected.

The NVMe is known to cause major problems such as the BSOD (blue screen of death).

I hope that the problem is “only” the NVMe and not e.g. the power supply on the mainboard, etc.

For professional use, the computer must of course run stably and against this background I am very disappointed.

I have not been able to find anything on this topic in the community forums.

My guess is that the NVMe crashes completely randomly, the system then reboots without power-cycle and when booting the NVMe can no longer be found until it is de-energized once and does a complete reset.

My system consists of the following components:

Framework Laptop 13 DIY Edition (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)
System: AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U
Memory: DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB

The firmware version of the NVMe is 620331WD (taken from fwupdmgr) and the BIOS version is 03.03 taken from dmidecode -t bios.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

I hope that you can help me quickly.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Frederik

1 Like

Hey Framework 13 Intel 11gen

Same thing Kingston SSD KC2500

Have you tried another NVMe drive? That would likely be the easiest way to find out if it’s the drive or the laptop.

But really you should be talking to either the WD or Framework support, not the forum. They would be able to actually help you if a part turns out to be defective.

Thank you for your replies. I am happy that I am not alone with the problem. The fact that it seems to happen on totally different configurations is not a good sign in my opinion.

The Framework support answered and told me to reseat the NVMe. I did this today.

They also recommended another test to boot into a live Linux. But since the problem occurs so randomly and so rarely it is hard to determine if the problem still exists or not.

In fact, it did not happen anymore in the last 3 days. So I have to wait and see what will happen in the next days.

After that another option would be to change the NVMe. Unfortunately, I do not have much time to debug hardware problems for my working environment.

Regards,

Frederik

I have removed the NVMe and reinstalled it. Since then, the problem has not occurred again and I hope it will not happen again.

I think I have the same problem in Windows, but obviously I don’t see the same type of error. The system freezes and then resets with a BSOD. Event viewer says the storage device is missing.

When I get a chance, I will try reseating the drive.

Sounds like the same problem. I think Windows show BSOD while Linux reboots immediately. After the reboot the system is not able to boot because the boot device is missing.