Framework 13 DIY: Sleep Issue with Windows 10, and Expansion Card Issues

I have a DIY 13, and am running Windows 10 on the latest BIOS and Drivers. So far the laptop is handling well, but there are two issues, one which relates to the topic Default Boot Device Missing. It happens to me when the laptop goes to sleep or has been left on for too long, and the menu it comes back acts like the SSD nor the Expansion Card exist. The other issue, though unrelated to this topic is that my 1 TB expansion card randomly disconnects itself during big file transfers.

I have a similar issue. I have a Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7 7840U running Windows 11 Pro; the bios is the latest version.

I have my system set to sleep when I close the lid while running on battery power. Often, but not always, when I do so, the system no longer recognizes that I have a MicroSD Expansion Card (with a 512GB card inside) in slot 1 (left rear).

When the lid is reopened, the MicroSD expansion card is no longer detected.

(The MicroSD card is a Samsung Evo Plus SDXC U3 Class 10 A2 Memory Card 512GB.)

Hi. I’m not sure it’s much to do with the sleep state as I had the same problem with a 256GB expansion card. There are a number of topics on this.

Oh, yes, I’ve read those topics. But in my case it only happens with the sleep state; the card, which I write to every five minutes (incremental backup), works just fine for days on end with the computer docked. It never disengages until the computer is put into sleep mode by closing the lid under battery power.

1 Like

OK but if it’s in sleep do you know when it happens. Do you check a log. i.e. is it within seconds, minutes or down to sleep trying to save even more power before hibernation.

Also maybe there are settings for sleep to keep the USB ports alive.

There’s also the issue of what ports you use. 1 and 3 stay alive and cause battery drain ???

Which log should I check? Where is it located?

It is NOT a case of a low battery switching from sleep to hibernation. My battery has hours of charge left when this happens and it happens (sometimes, not all the time) when I close the lid for only a brief period of time.

Regardless, coming out of sleep should reactivate any USB devices that were put to sleep by the sleep function. The Framework 13, alone in my experience, fails to do that (if, indeed, that is why the Framework Micro SD expansion card is failing to be recognized after sleep).

The general Windows terminal command is

powercfg

and the one I use for example is

powercfg /batteryreport

See

Here’s the report produced by: powercfg /batteryreport

https://sfwriter.com/sawyer-framework-13-battery-report-2024-07-16.html

Sequence of events:

1. Computer running on wall current (mains) provided through a USB-C docking station

2. Complete system shutdown; system undocked

3. System turned back on, now running on battery power

4. Lid closed for a couple of minutes (computer set to sleep when lid is closed when running on battery power)

5. Lid opened, fingerprint scanned, system awakens

6. Micro SD expansion card located in slot 1 not recognized

Ejecting and reinserting the card makes no difference; only a complete power-down shutdown followed by a reboot has it being recognized again.

This does not happen every time, but it does happen often.

I’ve now moved my Micro SD expansion card to slot 2 (closest to front on left-hand side). We’ll see over time if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help!

There are two ejections a) the &microSD which and b) the expansion bay module

Try ejecting the card and then eject the module.

You may also like to try a mainboard reset to align the BIOS with any chages

I’ve tried ejecting and reinserting the actual microSD card first; the system did not recognize the change.

I then ejected and reinserted the MicroSD expansion card with the microSD card inserted; the system did not recognize the change.

In both instances, I opened Device Manager and had it scan for new devices. In both instances, rather than reporting anything new, Device Manager froze; I had to kill it with Task Manager each time.

So have you tried other slots or done the main board reset . yet ?

Since moving the MicroSD Expansion Card from Slot 1 (rear left) to Slot 2 (front left), I have not had a repeat of the MicroSD Expansion Card no longer being recognized after closing and reopning the lid (and therefore going in and out of sleep).

I have not done a motherboard reset.

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes