Framework 13 USB and MicroSD drives disconnecting randomly

Hi, I have an AMD Ryzen 7840U Framework 13 (higher spec), purchased in May 2024. I’m using Windows 11 with latest updates, the latest BIOS (3.05) and the latest AMD drivers (2024-04-02). Since I first had the laptop, I found USB-A port (front-right) unreliable, despite reseating the port multiple times with an external drive enclosure connected (that worked fine in my old Acer). It would disconnect and (sometimes) reconnect randomly.

More recently I purchased a MicroSD port, hoping that would be more reliable, but unfortunately it isn’t. Again, it disconnects in use or just randomly when not in use, or when attempting to browse files on the card. It happens with multiple MicroSD cards so it’s not the cards. I tried the MicroSD port in the front-left location and then the back-left - no difference.

This is all when on mains power.

It’s frustrating as I do like the laptop, and can overlook the slightly uneven screen backlighting, but an inability to reliably back up is a bit of a showstopper.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried clearing the “Power Management/Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” checkboxes in each Hub entry under “Universal Serial Bus controllers” in the Device Manager, but that made no difference.

Many thanks!

Julian

Hey!

I’m having a similar problem. I connect my hackup HDD with the USB-A port. It powers on the HDD and reads the file but can’t transfer nor open any file before it automatically disconnects. I tried both File History from Windows and Acronis True Image from WD, both fail as soon as the recovery of documents (aka transfer of files from the HDD to my laptop) starts.

I can’t connect two HDDs using two USB-A expansion cards. It seems to be a power ouput issue. I’m using the latest BIOS (3.20) and the latest drivers.

Hi, sorry to hear you’re having problems too, although at the same time it’s good to have confirmation it’s not just me. It’s a shame, as otherwise I’m enjoying the machine. I’ll wait a bit for anyone else to respond and then contact support.

I didn’t want to generalise but yes I have an 11th Gen and had 256Gb Expansion memory replaced and do not use the µSD card any more :frowning:

Hi - did your MicroSD card module suffer from random disconnects? Thanks!

Yes. I used it as a placed to backup but it would disconnect and I lost some data ~ same as the 256 GB expansion card.