Framework 16 BIOS Wake on LAN (WoL) Support

Does anyone know if the Framework 16 supports WoL from BIOS?

I’m planning to use the FW 16 mainly from remote desktop and the ability to power it on remotely would be very useful in the case it accidentally turns off from a Windows Update or crash while I’m away and unable to turn it back on.

I’m currently using an ASUS TUF F15 with this functionality so I’m wondering if the FW 16 provides the same ability.

Hi @Elliot_Lu,

If you are concerned about it powering off; why not buy a smart switch from Belkin, Wyze, etc. that you can manually turn on and off. Then change the setting in the BIOS to power on when plugged in. This will effectively restart the computer from after being shutoff.

Otherwise, the WoL should work from the operating system if it is setup in the settings for the network adapter. If it is a remote standalone machine, be sure to get a hardwired USBC network card or USBC hub with ethernet. Wireless cards in laptops are notorius for going into a standby state and not recognizing WoL magic packets.

Good Luck.

Or Windows supports WOL packages waking a suspended machine. If you suspend the machine, then you would be able to wake it from suspend with a WOL, thus making the BIOS requirement unnecessary.

Personally, I don’t think WOL requests at the BIOS level are a thing. What you would want is something that is popular in the enterprise world with the ILO or IPMI like services of HP and Supermicro server based platforms.

BIOS Wake on Lan does exist and I’m currently using it in my ASUS TUF F15. In the ASUS BIOS, you can access WoL under network stack settings. The settings allows it to wake even from a shutdown as long as you send the signal to the laptop’s built in ethernet port.

This is why I was wondering if the Framework had such functionality

I am not questioning that it exists, I just think from a consumer standpoint it doesn’t make much sense. This kind of functionality is more of an enterprise feature. There are several security concerns that are far beyond the average consumer’s understanding. I would be VERY surprised, as a result, if it was included in the Framework bios.

After getting my Framework 16 today (Very Exciting Moment), it does seem like the Framework 16 does indeed support WoL. I’m yet to test this but it does have a network stack setting which is the setting that I used in the ASUS BIOS for WoL. If I’m lucky it is the right setting or it might just be a different naming scheme between vendors. I am yet to test this and will report my results once I have the time to perform a test.

3 Likes

That is GREAT to hear! I would be very interested to hear about your adventure with it! Thank you for letting us know!

Hi @Elliot_Lu,

Congrats on your new machine! Still not a bad idea to have a smart switch connected over the Internet that can remotely turn on and off AC power. Especially at a remote location that is not easily/frequently reachable. Just in case you need to power cycle the AC adapter and can not physically be there to do it.

@2disbetter : There is a PiKVM device too that I have seen for connecting to a machine without ILO or IPMI built-in. If I had a remote server or something I needed to low level control that would be the ticket. Plus no subcription costs and you can migrate it from machine to machine.

The piKVM is a nice option to use, but the thing is it doesn’t have the ability to turn on a laptop without wake on lan.

I was going to get myself a PiKVM to connect to my Framework Laptop 16, but somewhere along the line, the budget ran out (found something else with a great deal that I just couldn’t miss :laughing:). Sadly, the piKVM will have to wait for later.

For now, I’m currently using a Nvidia Jetson Nano (I know it has a better use but it was the only SBC I had on hand) to send the Wake On LAN signal. Sadly, the Jetson Nano doesn’t have a software like piKVM that let’s you see the display output and go into the bios.

Once the device powers up, I just use a remote desktop application to connect to my PC.

1 Like