Framework 16 Crinkling Noise During Fan Spin Up

Hello,

I have a batch 16 Framework 16 (Windows 11, with the 7700S dGPU) laptop which I got in May and have had no issues with. Just a few days ago a new issue cropped up where the laptop emits a strange crinkling sound while the fans are spinning up.

I have read posts about coil whine, and broken fan bearings, but that is not at all the sound I’m hearing. Here’s are recording I took with my phone: [Framework Noise.wav - Google Drive).

In this case it didn’t last very long, but sometimes it lasts longer than this. I have no idea what could be even making this sound, there doesn’t seem to be any issues with performance in games, or any problems on the software side of things. Any recommendations?

Odds are good something really small is touching the fan blades like part of a piece of adhesive or a wire and this is causing the noise you are hearing.

If you are handy you could try to carefully take it apart and see if you see or feel anything touching the fan blades as you turn it slowly.

Let us know what you find out.

Please change the access settings for the google drive file. When trying to open it, I get an access denied page.

Because I am unable to see the recording to check further, I would also start with pkunk’s advice and check if anything is hitting your fan blades.

Also what surface are you using your Framework 16 on? It is very possible that something small might’ve gotten into the fans and started hitting the blades.

Sorry about that, I just fixed the link. I am just using it on a wooden desk. Again the issue just appeared out of nowhere the other day, so maybe? I’m not sure, I’ll open it and take a look soon, I just moved and don’t have a screwdriver on me.

No worries.

It definitely sounds like your fan blades are hitting some sort of kind of crinkly plastic material. I would recommend that you remove your dGPU Module and check what is going on once you get a screwdriver.

If you don’t have a screwdriver, you could using some compressed air or a hair dryer on the cool setting to blow it out if it’s something small that got into the fan, or try just blowing into the fan intake (probably won’t be too effective though).

My first recommendation though is still to open it up and check because if it’s a part of the laptop that got loose, you won’t be able to blow it out.

2 Likes